#16

Right after Jack left, and before anyone else came up to see her, Ana cried. She lay down on the couch, and she let her salty tears fall down her face. Once they came, they quickly intensified. She fought to keep the sounds of her sobbing as quiet as she could. But it was a losing battle. She had no idea if anyone could hear her. Probably not. She succumbed to the sounds. No one was around.

The worst part about the crying was that it reminded her of Cee. He had taken to wrapping himself around the back of her neck, and sometimes he would brush the side of her face, leaving behind a wet residue. As the tears cascaded down her cheeks, she couldn't help but remember him. The wetness felt exactly like Cee's wetness. And that similarity made her cry even more.

Jack was unwilling to help her. Her father was...he was kidnapping dragons. He had taken Cee from her. There was nothing she could do about it.

As time wore on, though, Ana's tears did dry up. And as they did, the rush of the elevator arriving brought her back to the moment.

***

When the elevator doors clanged open, there were three people inside.

The first ran away from the others. He skidded to a stop across from Ana, and she recognized him at once. It was Luka. She wondered why and how he'd gotten here.

"Ana," he said, sounding too relaxed for this sort of situation. "Do you know where Cee and Ashwell are?"

"They're..." she trailed off. How could she explain the distorted realm to him?

Then her attention snapped back to the other two, as they stepped out of the elevator. She rubbed her eyes, peeling the crusty residue away. Her father was there, and next to him stood Jack. Jack remained a step behind her father. He shut and locked the elevator. For a brief moment, he met her eyes, and she knew that he wanted to speak with her. Her father cleared his throat, and she turned her attention to him.

"Luka will stay here, to ensure your cooperation today," he said.

"Hey, that wasn't our agreement," Luka said.

"I need you to stay here first," Ana's father said.

He put a hand on Ana's shoulder.

"Do not make me regret letting Jack accompany us, instead of Eli."

She had no idea what she could possibly do, that would make him regret that. Jack had made clear he would not be helping her free Cee.

"Where are we going?" Ana said.

"I told you that you would shadow me at work today," her father said. He stared into her eyes and a chill went over her. "One part of that is showing you the work that the dragons do for us. I intend to have you accompany me this afternoon as I check on them."

Ana glanced to her father's finger, where he'd previously worn the ring. But it was gone now. He must have taken it off before coming here.

"I would also surmise that you have questions about what happened with the essdra you used to be bonded to. Rest assured, those will be answered now. But you will not find the Golden Ring on my person, nor on Jack's person, or anywhere we visit, so you can give up searching for it."

Ana started. She hadn't expected him to be so perceptive. She hadn't said anything, just looked at his hand, and somehow he knew she was thinking about the ring.

"Your friend, Luka, came to see his dragon," Ana's father said. "I hope that you will take an interest in what I have to show you. The good sort of interest. Otherwise, he might leave here disappointed..."