Who Do You Save?

The hackles on Titus' back stood up as he felt Damian's heart race and watched him and his father break into a defensive posture.

"Let him go, Talia. He doesn't concern you."

Talia laughed. "Child. Don't you see? Kent here is the reason I've got you where I want you."

Damian frowned. "Actually "mother". I call him Jon."

"A first name basis?" She laughed. "I see you're growing softer."

"You can't hurt him." Bruce said, putting a hand on Damian's back and pushing him in, closing the door. "He's bulletproof."

Jon held up his hand which was bleeding. He talked cautiously as to avoid the knife at his throat. "Well today, not so much."

"Okay so maybe not knives today." Bruce muttered.

"We could try and shoot him." Damian shrugged.

Jon's eyes widened. 

"I'm kidding."

But Damian stalled for long enough that he could pull a shuriken from the back of his belt. He didn't need to though, Bruce intervened.

"Talia. Put the kid down. What do you want?"

Talia pushed Jon away and wiped the blood off with a finger, slowly before flicking the bright red drop onto the white wallpaper. Jon bunched up his fists and nodded at Damian. It would take a second but if Damian could stall for a few seconds,  seven to be exact, Jon could activate laser vision, which is kind of badass.

Bruce tried to negotiate but Talia made a move forwards, lunging at Damian. Jon missed, burning the wall in front of him where Talia once stood. He whipped his head over but hit a mirror between the closets and refracted a beam just above Damian's head. 

Damian shot him a "What the fuck, Jon?!" look, but everyone froze when Damian heard Titus yelp.

Talia cursed and Bruce threw down a smoke screen, setting off the fire alarm. When the screen cleared, the window was open and the screen removed. Talia was gone.

"Titus, come!" Damian ordered. Titus nudged his hand. Damian scratched his head and felt his fingers run cold. He held it up. Blood.

Jon saw what happened and ran to the bathroom.

"Jesus." Damian muttered.

Jon came out with a wet washcloth. 

"Thanks." Damian said, taking the cloth.

Bruce was silent as Damian dabbed the blood away from Titus' ear. Jon was hardly breathing, waiting to see how Damian was going to react. Jon looked at Bruce. He rocked back and forth on his heels.

"So-" Jon began, filling the silence.

"I'm going to kill her." Damian announced.

"We don't kill."

"No." Damian said, angrily standing up, pointing at Titus's cut ear. "You don't kill. You're not the boss of me."

Bruce was looking out the window. There were no footsteps in the snow below. Something... or someone caught her.

"Damian, listen." Bruce said, sternly, stalking over towards the boy. "Titus is going to be fine. We'll bring him to the Manor so Alfred can look him over."

"No."

Bruce ignored him. "But that's not the point. When you have a partner, you care for them first. Do you understand?"

Jon backed up into the doorway of the bathroom as Damian cradled Titus' head in his arms. The Dane licked the tear from Damian's face. He talked quietly to his dog who was doing pressure therapy to help with Damian's rising heart rate.

"Damian Thomas." Bruce said. "I'm talking to you." He continued. "You have an obligation to Jon and-"

"Father! Just let me-"

"WHEN I TALK, YOU LISTEN!" Bruce shouted. Damian went silent. Bruce took a breath. "I know how much Titus means to you but you must know that Jon is your priority."

Damian ignored Titus' warning to stay seated and he stood up. "Don't yell at me like that, Father."

Jon wisely stepped away to go find gauze. The bleeding to Titus' ear wasn't bad.

"Father. I need to go after her." Damian said, calmly. Titus lay back down and wagged his tail as Jon cleaned the wound.

"No." Bruce said, softer. "No, you don't. I need to call Clark."

"Dad?" Jon asked.

Bruce nodded. And then he was gone.