Delgo Noir 3: The Revenge of Joe

It's raining heavily when we arrive at the suspect's house.

Kyla and I both grab our revolvers and head to the door. The suspect is twenty-five, male, and reportedly in possession of 42069 imperial tonnes of Cocaine. We're not sure if the person who gave us this information was telling the truth, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

We make plans silently through hand signals. She tells me to go out the back. I refuse. We gesture wildly to each other until we hear movements from inside the house. This stops the argument and we sidle back into the car. We drive off, the sound of 5, 6, 7, 8 by Steps crackling on the radio.

Back in my apartment, Kyla slaps me across the face, scolding me for being so stubborn.

'You can sleep on your own tonight. I'm going to Bogardus,'' she says, slamming the door on her way out. I call out her name but to no avail. Desolate, I chug down the whiskey I keep on my dresser. Darkness.

I wake up to the sound of my phone ringing. My eyes slowly readjust to the dim light. A glance at the clock tells me that the time is 11:00am. I answer it quickly.

'Kyla?'

The male voice on the other end is one I don't recognise. He has a strong French accent although his English is excellent .

"Quite the opposite," he says menacingly. "There been an incident at the Bogardus household."

Using my super speed, I hang up and race to the Bogardus home.

'You must be Detective Delgo. Slayer of Award-winning actor Danny DeVito and partner of Kyla?'

I turn around and see the man with the French accent.

'I am Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette."

'As in the solver of the Lokni drug smuggling operation?' I question in reply.

'Indeed. Now if you will follow me.'

I follow Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette through the Bogardus household. Bogardus, Chief of Police and second in command of the Nohrin Army, has a mighty big house. Multiple staircases leading to who-knows-where, corridors lined with bedrooms. I don't want to imagine what happened here last night. We arrive at a door which I can only assume is the bedroom of Bogardus himself.

'Brace yourself,' Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette commands.

He opens the door. Over the length and breadth of the high walls are blood stains. Smashed paintings lie the carpet.  Linen has been ripped from the enormous bed. A bedside lamp lies shattered on mounds of clothing. I stare at the walls again, seeing a message written in blood. "Delgo."

'Bogardus. He was found this morning in that very bed.  Murdered,' states Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette.  'The suspect, unfortunately, is your girlfriend Kyla.'

Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette and I arrive at the police station where they're keeping Kyla.

'I can't believe she would do something like this,' I say to him.

'That's what they all say, Detective Delgo. You're too predictable.'

We walk into the interrogation room where Kyla is. She's sitting at the desk, handcuffed. I signal to everyone to leave.

'Delgo!' she exclaims with joy. 'I didn't do it Delgo. You know me. What reason would I have to...?

I silence her with a look.