❃Chapter Four❃

Night had fallen by the time they made it to Song's house. It wasn't that long of a trek, but Iroh had to get a little better before they could start traveling again. Unfortunately, that gave more time for the two lovebirds to throw glances at each other, making Asake so mad. At least Song stayed with Iroh the whole way toward her house; that gave Asake time to spend with Zuko, no matter how much she hated the feelings rushing through her chest. 

At Song's house, they all sat at a knee high table, Zuko to her left and Iroh to her right. Asake's stomach growled at the thought of roast duck that was cooking in the room next to them. It had been a long time since she had eaten that, probably on the ship with her crew that she missed terribly. Thinking of the time before Zhao sent a pang of sadness rushing through her. She missed the simple days aboard the ship. She missed the innocence of it. Zhao had taken her innocence.

Song's mother approached the table with a plate of roast duck, sending all thoughts of Zhao scattering away. The meat look delicious. If it tasted anything like it smelled, Asake would be in heaven. She didn't think she would ever be able to get there again, so she had to hold onto those feelings for as long as she could.

After Song's mother sat down at the table, she passed around the roast duck. Asake took a large helping for herself, and Zuko nudged her. He was frowning by the time she looked at him. "What?" she hissed, scooping a little bit of the sauce on her mountain of a plate. "I'm starving. Give me a break."

He didn't say anything to her. Instead, he reached over her and took some of the meat for himself off of her plate. She glared at him, trying to find a way to stab him with her utensil. It looked like Song and her mother didn't notice their interaction, and she was glad for that. Zuko was acting strange, and she didn't like it one bit.

"My daughter tells me you're refugees," Song's mother said. "We were once refugees ourselves."

Song nodded. "When I was a little girl, the Fire Nation raided our farming village. All the men were taken away." Her voice grew distant, as if she was remembering that time. She looked sad as she said, "That was the last time I saw my father."

Asake felt really bad for hating this girl just for interacting with Zuko. The Fire Nation had done horrific things for a long time to a multitude of people. She hoped to be alive when reformations happened there. She hoped to help with the reformations. She had a few ideas already . . . but there was no way she would be able to help because she knew that her life was falling faster and faster into the depths of her demise.

"I haven't seen my father in many years," Zuko said softly, his gaze lowered. Did he actually sound sad? Didn't he realize that his father was a monster? Or was he too blinded by whatever was going on behind that scarred face of his to see the truth?

Asake almost chimed in that she hadn't seen her father in many years, either, but, according to their lie, Iroh was her father. She would've much rather have had Iroh as her father instead of her real one. He was nice and caring and wise. He actually treated her like a human. He loved her. That was more than her real father ever did.

"Oh. Is he fighting in the war?" Song asked.

Asake stared at Zuko, wondering how he would answer that question. His father was technically leading the war, but she didn't think he would say that to these nice Earth Kingdom people. When most people found out that they were Fire Nation, they were leery. Asake stuffed some roast duck into her mouth, watching the gears turn in Zuko's head.

Finally, he said, "Yeah."

He stood up suddenly and headed outside like he couldn't bear to be in that room for another minute. She knew it was a touchy subject for him, so she didn't go after him right now. She knew how much he hated being vulnerable around anyone, let alone the girl he hated. Instead, she focused on eating. She didn't know if they were going to have anything to eat after they left Song and her mother, so she needed to eat as much as possible. And maybe smuggle some food for the road, too. That way, she wouldn't starve again.