Teamwork (A Galileo & Cassini Vignette)

October 1, 2000

Galileo flew near Io, mentally reviewing his schedule for the rest of the day.

First, I'll finish taking images with Cassini. Then, we'll go to JPL to get them processed. Then, we'll-

A flash of gold caught his eye before crashing into him.

"Sorry!" Cassini exclaimed. "Did I hurt you?"

"No, it's okay." Galileo smiled at him. Cassini could become quite energetic when he was in the moment. Besides, he was young, only two years old, soon to be turning three later that month. The truth was, Galileo loved Cassini's optimism and energy. He treated him like a little brother. Galileo was glad-and surprised-that his troublesome political past didn't seem to faze him at all by now. Cassini felt he could overcome any challenge that presented itself to him.

Galileo, on the other hand...

"How's your imaging going?" Galileo asked.

"Good." Cassini answered.

"Good. When we're done we'll go to JPL to get them processed, okay? Then we can show them to Jupiter and the Voyagers!"

"Okay!" Cassini said cheerfully.

When the two spacecraft finished their imaging for the day, they rushed to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory as fast as they could fly and tried to get their images out as soon as possible. 

When they finally arrived back at the House of the Outer Planet Spacecraft, Voyager 1, Voyager 2 and Jupiter were standing at the dining table waiting for them.

"So, let's see the new images!" Voyager 2 said as Galileo and Cassini flew over to the table. Voyager 1 pulled Galileo in for a hug. "Yeah, let's see!" said Voyager 1. "Come on, show us!" said Jupiter.

Galileo and Cassini looked at each other, purposefully making them wait for a few more seconds.

"Come on, let's see!" Jupiter said. "Show us already!" Voyager 1 said at the same time.

Cassini spread the images of Jupiter he was holding across the table.

The planet and the two spacecraft went wide-eyed. Voyager 2 picked up three, looking through them and said "Wow...Cassini...these are amazing...I mean, these are the best images I've ever seen!" Voyager 1 had picked up an image as well. "Yeah, they're so sharp!" he said, looking as if he couldn't believe what he was seeing. Jupiter was holding up an image too, nodding impressed, and said "Man, I'm good lookin'."

When all of them were done staring at the images, Voyager 2 bounded over to Cassini, clasped his hands in his, spun him around in the air and said "And this is the amazing little spacecraft who's going to reveal the wonders of Saturn!" He squeezed Cassini, who was laughing. Then, Galileo and Voyager 1 piled onto him, with Jupiter watching happily from the table, hugging and praising him. 

"Well, I think we should get to bed, guys." Voyager 1 said after getting up.

"Alright, I'm going home." Jupiter said as he got up and walked toward the door. "Alright!" said Galileo. "Alright!" Cassini repeated. They flew over to Jupiter, who hugged them before walking out the door.