thirteen

olivia was silent in her steps when she made it to john b's house, it was quiet other than the occasional glass clinking

olivia was silent in her steps when she made it to john b's house, it was quiet other than the occasional glass clinking. "hey." she said silently as she leaned on the doorway, "olivia look, i'm sorry i didn't mean anything i said to you."

"oh you didn't mean that i was just like every other kook in the outer banks, all dirty rich and perfect?" she chuckled, he sighed. "yeah i was just mad and i know i might've just cost my friendship with you but i'm still so sorry." he walked up to her. "john b, it's okay. i'm not mad, just a little hurt you said that. and if there's anything i can do..." she trailed off to look in his eyes, "it's okay liv. i got it covered." he takes his hand and cradles her cheek, "what happened there?" he pointed it out and she shook her head.

"nothing happened. i'm just stupid is all." she joked, "you're not stupid. what happened." she looked around and back to him. "nothing." and there was that moment again, the one where john b dropped his eyes to her lips and back to her own, she looked towards the floor this time though because this was definitely not the right time, he just yelled at her for christ's sake. "i'm helping you clean whether you like it or not."

he nods to himself before blowing raspberries and walked through the whole house to clean up everything those crazy men had thrown to the ground in order to find some stupid compass.

pizza boxes upon pizza boxes were in a mountain now outside on the ground and they still weren't done, olivia spotted a picture on the floor of john b and his dad years ago and she chuckled when she picked it up. "i assume that you'd want to keep this beauty?" she shows him the picture frame and he smiles slightly. "yeah, keepsake. treasure, if you will." he jokes and places it back on a table set up perfectly. she couldn't help but keep looking back to the picture and hoping that big john was still out there. because if she believed in it, john b believed in it a little more too.

they were both outside now as the boy put the cork board of his family tree on top of the pile of pizza boxes and other random cardboard things. john b took out a match book and flicked one into the makeshift mountain and it started up in flames.

it struck something in him when he saw the cork board now flaming and he grabbed a stick to fish it out as fast as he could. "liv. come here." he gestures to the now almost burnt piece on the ground and she stepped beside him. "yes?"

"wait that's so cute. johnny look, there's someone in your family tree that has the same name as me." she smiled at the burnt board and he gasped. "wait olivia you're a genius!" he pulled her in for a hug. "i am?" she asked confused. "get in." he pointed towards the volkswagen and pushed her towards it.

"uhhh... okay?" but she does as she's told and gets in the passenger seat, "is this gonna be another fucked up adventure type thing that will most likely have us dead in a ditch?" her nerves got the best of her as she started to tap her fingers against her bare thigh. "you'll just have to wait and see now won't you liv?" he winked. "please you're such a dork." she chuckles lowly, "only a dork for you miss cameron." he says in a silly voice, "your way with words john routledge, it makes me melt."