Chapter Two

Harmony

“I can't believe this” I say. Scott sighs.

“You've been saying that for the past month” he says. “Believe it. We're at the damn airport. There is seriously no time for denial.”

“This is your fault” I hiss. He backs up, hands in the air.

“Sorry, babe” he says. “I thought it would be fun! Promise you'll text.”

“If they let me” I say. “And if I'm not too pissed at you.”

“I really am sorry” he says, before leaning in and planting a kiss on my forehead. “Try to have fun anyway.”

“Whatever” I mumble.

“I love you” he says, smiling his normal half-smile. I sigh, and then smile back.

“I love you too” I say grudgingly. He leans forward and kisses me quickly on the lips, and then he walks away. I watch him until he vanishes into the crowd, and then I turn around and head to my gate.

“Harmony Todd?” asks the man waiting for me. “Follow me.”

“Yeah, because I follow every weird guy that knows my name” I say. “Let's start with 'who the hell are you?'”

“My name is Conrad” the man says, sounding tired. “And it's nearly eleven, and I'd appreciate if you'd just come with me.” He pulls out a badge. “Official Security for NBC's Five Directions.” He shows me a piece of paper, which I snatch and read over.

“Thanks” I say, handing it back.

“You're late” he says. I walk past him to the door that leads out to the tarmac, towing my luggage behind me. I hear him running to catch up with me.

“I know” I say, once we're walking step-in-step. “Yet I'm in more of a hurry then you.”

“Excited to meet your idols?” he asks, almost sounding sarcastic.

“They're not my idols” I snap. “Don't worry. I'm in a hurry to get sent home.”

“What are you doing here, then?” he asks curiously, as we step outside, into the cold night air. There's a small, private plane waiting for us.

“My boyfriend thought it would be funny” I say, a little bit of anger making its way into my voice.

“Your boyfriend signed you up for a dating show?” Conrad asks. I walk a little bit faster.

“Yeah” I say. “But it's not a dating show. Right?”

“Effectively, it is” Conrad replies, catching up with me again. “There's a rumor going around security that this show only exists so that they can find girlfriends for the four single ones.”