Birthday Decisions

I slam the door of my locker.

"The way I see it,  all I need to do is, avoid sleeping and eating while I study for 2 whole days for t the test and I'll be fine" 

Ji-Woo playfully rolls her eyes at me

"Besides I really want to have fun on my birthday tomorrow before I go insane with all these assignments due. Cause girl, I'm at my breaking point " 

"They never stop do they, this one due, this one due, Ji-Woo says as she raises her hands, "Its madness"

As I laugh something catches my eyes from the distance. A girl in a white dress with beautiful dark skin. As breathtaking as a freshly cut black diamond. 

"You see her" I gesture towards the figure. 

"See what-

Dewayne screams across the campus "Heyyy it's my favorite  unemployed humans" 

I really miss the old Dewayne. The one who didn't need to remind everyone he's employed. 

"Me too Ji-Woo, me too" 

I look back to the figure and see nothing. 

"Hey", Dewayne comes closer to us wraps his arms around me as we begin to walk, "Hater's don't get paid" 

How did you hear what I said? Ji-Woo asks. He ignores her and begins to talk about the upcoming finals. 

To no surprise, I gradually fall deep into Dewayne's scent and become more comfortable in his arms. A feeling that comes to my body as if it knows it all too well.

  It makes me question time and time again whether my small attraction for Dewayne is much bigger than I initially assumed. 

I remove his arms from around me and begin to feel normal again.

"By the way, you guys want to come over to my place for a bit before we head out later?" 

"Most definitely, I'm avoiding my apartment until further notice"

You haven't cleaned it, have you?

Nope, Ji-Woo says with a smile. 

Shaking my head I looked to Dewayne for a response. And find him staring at me the same way he did the first time we met.  A look I never could understand. 

I look away embarrassed.

Dewayne, you coming?

"Yea, I'll come a little later"

Okay. I start my car.

------

Dropping my keys on the kitchen countertop, Bishop runs to me and begins to lick my face.  

Aunt Anne, how long have you been here? 

She takes a long sip from her cup as she stands behind the counter with a book in her hand. 

Not too long my child. You know this place is like a second home to me. I'm a little too comfortable here, She says with a chuckle. 

I smile, Of course. I walk to the fridge with a pang of intense hunger. 

Soft footsteps come behind me. "Hey Mercy where do you keep your- Hey Anne"

I turn around with an apple in my hand. Where do I keep my what? 

Your remote, it is in the case under the tv?

Yea it should be, Ji-Woo nods her head and walks away. 

I look towards Anne beside me and find her repeating words under her breath, in a rushed tone as if she were casting a spell. 

Turning to me she says "Make sure to come back home early on your birthday tomorrow. It's important" Kissing my forehead, she leaves the kitchen

As the door closed behind her and Bishop barked in the background. I realized that somehow deep down inside  I understood what was to come but another part of me still remained lost and confused for the future.

-----