Chapter 2: Dinner

*KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK*

The rattling of my front door jolted me awake. I panicked for a moment before I realized Robin was coming to start the work on my coop today. "Coming!" I yelled, hastily trying to make it look like I didn't just roll out of bed, even though I absolutely did. Robin was waiting on the other side of the door when I opened it, and we smiled at each other.

"Good morning Robin," I greeted her, still trying to wake up. "Good morning Avery! I hope I didn't wake you up" she said worriedly. "No no! I just woke up a few minutes ago actually, so it was perfect timing," I replied. I knew it was a lie but I didn't want her to worry about it. She just showed up a lot earlier than I anticipated.

Robin followed me as I led her to the cleared spot in the field. "Right here?" She double checked. "If that works for you!" I smiled. I helped her get everything ready, and she began working. "Is there any way I could help you..?" I asked. I didn't want to just kick back and watch her work if there was anything I could do to help.

"I can't think of anything crazy... you could stay and keep me company though if you'd like!" Robin smiled. "Sounds good! Let me go change out of my pajamas," I chuckled before heading inside.

I quickly changed out of my pajamas and old gray shirt with a pair of shorts. It wasn't much, but enough to wear to keep someone company. I grabbed one of my old blankets and went back outside.

"Okay, I'm back!" I smiled, spreading the blanket out  on the ground. "So, what's up?"

• • •

Robin and I talked nearly all day while she worked. She told me about what her childhood was like, the foods she loves to eat, her and Demetrius' wedding, and everything in between. We even told jokes to each other, and she has a surprisingly great sense of humor. It was really fun being around her.

It was getting late though, and the sun was just starting to set. "We took a lunch break together earlier, so what do you say we have dinner together too!" Robin smiled. "I.. what?" I asked, a little confused about what she was asking. "You can come over for dinner tonight! You can meet Demetrius and my daughter Maru!" She offered.

"O-Oh, sure!" I nodded. "Are you sure they won't mind?" I asked, mainly thinking of Sebastian. Robin was the one that offered, and even if I went that didn't mean he had to enjoy it. "They won't mind at all! I'm sure they would love if you joined us for dinner," Robin smiled, beginning to pack her tools up.

I helped her finish packing, and we began walking back to her house. The closer we got, the more nervous I felt. Meeting Demetrius, meeting Maru... seeing Sebastian again. There was something different about him but I didn't know what. He wasn't the typical person around Pelican Town, yeah, but it was something beyond that.

"Come on in!" Robin held the door open for me. I was a little startled, and didn't realize we got here to quickly. I followed her inside and hoped I didn't space out like this at dinner.

"Hey guys! Avery is here to join us for dinner," Robin announced through the hallway. "Sounds good honey!" A voice came from the other end of the hall, and you assumed it was Demetrius. "Come on, you can sit in the kitchen while I make dinner," Robin smiled.

I followed her down the hallway and sat at the dining room table. "Im not making anything too fancy tonight. Just spaghetti. But I do make my own sauce! I'm pretty proud of it," she chuckled as she grabbed the sauce out of the refrigerator.

A few moments later, a man about Robin's age and a young girl around my age came into the kitchen. "Sorry, we were finishing up an experiment in the lab," the man apologized, and reached out his hand to shake mine. "You must be Avery! I'm Demetrius, and this is my daughter Maru." "It's nice to meet you," Maru smiled and shook my hand too. "It's nice to meet you guys too," I smiled.

"Dinner's almost ready! Avery, would you wanna go grab Sebastian real quick?" Robin asked as she stirred the boiling noodles. "Oh, sure!" I stood up from the kitchen table. I made my way back down the hallway and stood at the top of the stairs that led to Sebastian's room.

Although I felt awkward being the one to get him, Robin told me today about how tense the relationship is between Sebastian and Demetrius and Maru. I was certain that Robin was usually the one to come tell him dinner's ready, but she was preoccupied.

I slowly walked down the stairs and knocked on the door. It had posters plastered from top to bottom. I didn't get much of a chance to look at them though, because the door opened shortly after I knocked on it. Sebastian was towering over me in the doorway. Once he realized it was me, his body tensed up. His dark stare felt like it pierced right through me and pinned me to where I stood.

"Y-your mom wanted me to get you for dinner," I spoke quickly and in barely anything more than a whisper. He seemed to understand it though, because he relaxed a little. "So you're eating dinner with us?" He nearly whispered back. "Yeah... Robin invited me over after she was finished with building-" "Cool." Sebastian muttered and walked past me, going up the stairs.

I quietly followed behind him as he walked into the kitchen. Robin sat dinner on the table, and the five of us sat down to eat.

Everyone filled their plate and began eating quietly. It was in stark contrast to how the day was going earlier. Robin was such a chatterbox when it was her and I, but now it was like an uneasy air settled over the table. She told me the relationship between Demetrius, Maru and Sebastian was tense but this was on another level.

"The spaghetti is wonderful Robin," I spoke up and smiled at her. "Thank you Avery, that means a lot," Robin smiled back. There was a short pause before anyone else spoke. "So mom, how was it starting Avery's coop?" Maru asked. "It was pretty good! She kept me company while I worked. It was a nice change," Robin nodded and took another bite of her spaghetti.

• • •

Dinner went surprisingly well compared to what I was initially thinking. It was awkward at times, but I also didn't know what "regular" was for them. The spaghetti was delicious though. I couldn't remember the last time I had a good home cooked meal like that. Probably when my mom and dad we're still together.

I pushed the thoughts of my parents to the back of mind while I said goodbye. "Thank you so much for dinner, it was amazing," I smiled at Robin. "It was no problem! And thank you," She waved it off. "It was nice meeting you," I nodded to Demetrius and Maru. "It was nice meeting you too Avery."

I looked over to Sebastian and he quietly stared back. I smiled and gave him a small nod, and he gave a small nod back with the hint of a smile on his face.

"I'll see you tomorrow Robin, thank you again!" I waved to them all as I shut the door and set off towards the farm.