Chapter 5: Beautiful View

I came back inside from tending to my crops, and sat down in the chair at the dining table. Now that the morning stuff was taken care of, I could look through all of the cool things I got from the mines yesterday!

I dumped the contents of my bag onto the table and shuffled through them. There were a lot of rocks... but also some pretty cool minerals and gems! There a few amethysts, an aquamarine, two rubies... and a frozen tear. I held the frozen tear up and looked at it carefully. Sebastian.

Surely he wouldn't mind if I came over. He said 'See you tomorrow' last night, right? I got up and put my shoes on, and made sure to grab the frozen tear before heading over to Sebastian's house.

I opened the door and heard the familiar sound of the bell ringing. "Hey Robin," I smiled. "Good morning Avery! What's up?" She asked cheerfully. "I just wanted to see if Sebastian was home," I explained. The same look that Robin had in her eye yesterday had now returned. "He's downstairs in his room with Abby right now if you wanted to see them. I think he said something about playing some kind of game?" Robin offered.

"Oh no that's okay," I decided, and felt a tiny pang in my stomach. It was probably because I hadn't eaten breakfast yet this morning, but the timing seemed a bit odd. "Well, could you um, give this to him for me?" I smiled softly, placing the frozen tear on the counter.

"Of course! He loves things like this," Robin nodded. "I won't keep you," I said as I walked towards the door. "I'll see you around Robin!"

We said our goodbyes, and I headed out the door. "What was that all about...?" I whispered to myself. I had never felt anything like that before. But then again, it's likely it was just hunger, right?

I would have stayed and talked to Abigail and Sebastian but I didn't want to interrupt them. They were my friends but I could tell that there was something different between the two of them. It seemed like they were pushing the boundary of "friends". At least Abigail was. Whenever everyone was hanging out, she was always just a little bit more touchy and well, flirty with Sebastian.

Maybe I was reading a little too much into it. It really wasn't much of my business anyways, but it still settled a little weird with me for whatever reason.

I tried to shake it off on the walk home. My main focus needed to be breakfast and working on the farm to be able to pay off the debt I had with Robin.

• • •

The sun was beginning to set, and I was sitting on the edge of the porch drinking some water. I got more work done than I had intended to, but I figured that was a good thing. Time definitely got away from me, but I didn't mind.

I heard distant footsteps coming towards the house. I looked to my left, waiting to see who was coming over. "Sebastian?" I whispered to myself as he walked through the trees. "Hey Avery," he greeted me. "Hey, what's up?" I smiled back at him.

"I just wanted to come say hi," he replied as he stared at his feet. "Is it okay if I sit beside you?"

"Y-Yeah of course!" I nodded, and scooted over to give him a little bit more room. "Thanks for the frozen year you left for me. I really loved it. Mom said you stopped by to drop it off," he said, staring at the sun over the tops of the trees. "No problem! I found it when I was in the mines yesterday and it reminded me of you," I admitted.

There was silence between the two of us as we watched the sun set from the front porch. It was a short moment that felt like it lasted years.

"The view from your farm is beautiful," Sebastian admitted. "I may not enjoy the heat of spring and summer, but I can't deny how nice the sunset looks."

"You do have a point," I chuckled. "I used to watch sunsets a lot when I would visit grandpa here. I was little, of course, but it was always really fun."

"Your grandpa sounds like he was a pretty cool guy. Mom mentioned him a few times when she talked about you moving in. She said she used to help him with farm buildings and all that. She was excited to be able to help you too," Sebastian admitted.

The tears that had been building in my eyes finally poured over. I really did miss grandpa. I wished I had spent more time with him than I did, even though my heart was full of memories. He was a good man.

"Avery are you okay?" Sebastian had noticed I was crying, and he had a worried look on his face. "Yeah I'm fine," I nodded, wiping the tears away. "He's been gone for a while now but I still miss him."

"I-Is it okay if I hug you?" Sebastian asked quietly as he scooted closer. God did a hug sound good. I nodded, and opened my arms up. Sebastian wrapped his arms around me and held me with a gentle strength. I laid my head against his chest and sighed.

'Why do you smell so good?' I thought to myself as I closed my eyes and just enjoyed the moment. He smelled like cologne and clean laundry detergent with a slight hint of cigarette smoke. It made me feel oddly comforted. Sebastian spoke in a low voice that vibrated gently through his chest.

"I'm here for you, just like you're here for me. Always."