Chapter 4

August 13, 1958, 1:30 P.M.

Elvis was by his mother's side in a flash. By some miracle he did not collapse on the floor before his weak body could slide into the chair by her bed side that his father had occupied almost non stop for the last few days. Elvis alternated between touching her forehead and kissing the spot where his hand had been several times, as if to make sure that this was real.

"Do you need anything? Some water? I'll get you some water."

Gladys looked at him as if he'd grown another head. "Your shirt... "

Elvis remembered that he was still shirtless just then. His mother knew very well that he did not like being shirtless and would never be caught bare chested outside of the safety of his home unless there was a really good reason for his state of undress.

"Don't worry about it, Satnin. Long long story."

"Vern?"

"He's out shopping but he'll be back real soon. Just don't worry your pretty little head about it and rest." Elvis bent down to kiss her forehead again.

"Come to the station, jump from the train," a little voice began to sing from the bathroom. "Lay down your arms. Lay down your arms. Lay down your aaaaaarms."

Gladys blinked her tired eyes, confusion evident on her face. Elvis burst out laughing, not at her expression but rather at Lynn Rose's jumbled version of the vaguely familiar song.

Elvis jumped to his feet and grabbed the glass on the nightstand. "One second"

He slipped into the bathroom, where he put down the glass before bending down to Lynn Rose's level. "Hey darlin', my mama is restin' right now. We have to be real quiet."

Lynn Rose nodded her head, her little face serious. "Shhh." She brought her finger to her lips to empathize the statement.

"That's a good girl."

"I'm still wet, Elvis."

"Hold on." Elvis poured some water and then made his way back out of the bathroom. He rushed over to his mother's bedside to give her the water before grabbing the previously forgotten towel.

"Who is in there?" Gladys asked.

"It's Lynn Rose."

"It's who? "

Right. Elvis had temporarily forgotten that his mother, didn't know about Lynn Rose. It was hard to believe that they only just met about a day ago. "She's a little girl. I'm takin' care of her."

Her lips twisted into a small smile which Elvis quickly returned. It was enough of an explanation for her. She always worried about others taking advantage of his kindness but not so when it came to little children. The concerns Vernon had expressed seemed the furthest from her mind.

Elvis grabbed her hand, engulfing it in his. "Don't you ever scare me like that again. I still need you so much more than you'll ever know. I'll make it out of the army and you'll get to hold your grandbabies. You just wait and see."

A loud crash that was followed by a sharp cry came from the bathroom just then. Elvis jumped, worry overcoming him as he got to his feet. He arrived on the scene to find Lynn Rose laying sprawled out on the floor with tears running down her cheeks.

"Did you slip, darlin'?" Elvis cooed as he threw the towel over her small body and then lifted her onto his knee.

"Yes," she whimpered. "Oooooowww!"

"I know, baby. I know. A good hug'll make it all better," Elvis said while pulling her into a tight embrace. His arms completely enfolded her tiny body while her arms locked around his neck, her face resting against his cheek. "See. All better now, right?" Elvis asked once she had ceased her crying.