Chapter 1: Calamity strikes

The day was beautiful. It was the kind of day that the kids would go out and splash around in the pool; the kind when you would take your family out on a walk; the kind when nothing could go wrong.

But that day, everything went wrong.

Mipha and the other Champions stood at the bottom of Mt. Lanayru, awaiting the return of Zelda and Link. They were up at Lanayru Spring, praying for Zelda's power to awaken. They could all feel the aura of sadness when the duo came down the mountain. Link was looking concerned for Zelda. Her face was down, and she felt like a complete failure. She failed; failed the Champions, failed Hyrule, her father, and everyone that depended on her success.

"Well? Don't keep us in suspense. How'd everything go up there at the mountain?" Daruk walked alongside Zelda, trying to add a bit of comfort. Even though he asked, the answer was plain on her face. Her mission was a bust, she couldn't find her power within her. She stopped and lightly shook her head. That was the only answer she could give.

"So you didn't feel anything? No power at all?" Revali looked at the princess. Even though he would never show it, he was starting to feel worried. He would never show that though, he was the best of the Champions, better than that small Hylian chosen by the Sword.

Zelda softly responded, "I'm sorry, no." She was just quiet enough for the group to barely hear her.

Urbosa spoke up. She had to be the voice for Zelda that would help her move on, even though she couldn't find her power. If she didn't though, Hyrule would fall. "Then let's move on," she said in a confident tone. "You've done all you could. Feeling sorry for yourself won't be of any help. After all, it's not like your last shot was there on Mt. Lanayru. Anything could finally spark the power to seal Ganon away. We just have to keep looking for that...thing."

"That's kind of you, thank you."

With that, Mipha knew it was her turn to speak up. She looked over at Link. His blue eyes were locked on the Princess. She knew what he was thinking, and how sad it must have felt for both of them. She knew what she had to say, now she just had to bring the courage to say it right.

"If I may..." Zelda looked into her eyes. She looked a bit hopeful, maybe Mipha would have something to say that would help? Mipha went on with what she was saying, there was no turning back now, she couldn't take it back after seeing Zelda's hopeful expression.

"I thought you...Well, I'm not sure how to put this into words. I'm actually quite embarrassed to say it. But I was thinking about what I do when I am healing. You know, what usually goes through my mind...It helps when I think--when I think about..." Mipha knew what to say. When she heals, she thinks about... Link. She wasn't ready to say exactly that yet, not in front of him. "The ones I love," she said instead.

"The ones you love?" Zelda started speaking normally. She had a slight smile on her face as if she found the answer to all of her problems.

"Yes, I think of my little brother and his big smile. My father and his hearty laugh. I think of all my friends and family in Zora's domain, and in all of Hyrule." That was actually quite true, Mipha thought. She did think about them, she loved them all...just... as much as Link.

Zelda started tearing up. She wasn't sad, she was overjoyed. She walked over and embraced Mipha. "Thank you, my friend," she whispered in her ear. "You gave me hope, and I think you just helped save Hyrule too." With that, a big earthquake shook the two friends apart. The Champions all turned in the direction of Hyrule Castle. Revali used his Gale flew up to see the commotion, but everyone was already fearing the worst. His sights confirmed that. A raging storm of Malice grew over Hyrule castle, and he could see the disgusting hog form of Ganon circling the towers. Lightning struck from above, breaking down walls and tearing through the towers.

"NO!" Zelda cried. She threw herself down to her knees, thinking of her father. He was in the Castle...and now the Calamity has struck. The last time she saw her father he had scolded her for taking more interest in the ancient Sheikah technology, instead of training to awaken her power. She needed her mother, she was the only one who could have trained her. But she died long ago, and now there was no one. All she could do was pray to Hylia that a miracle would happen.

"All Champions! To your Divine Beasts!" Daruk yelled. "Little guy, you and the princess go confront Ganon, we will provide you support from there."

Link looked up. He knew that now was his time. This was his time to complete his life-long mission...but something wasn't right. He looked over to the castle, and saw the Guardians in the distance, flying over Hyrule castle. Purple and black energy seemed to flow into them, and they radiated with Malice. The Guardians attacked the nearby soldiers and everyone that was in sight. No one escaped their targeting lasers. If the guardians could be taken over...what about the Divine Beasts!?

"Let's go!" Daruk yelled. The champions were about to make their way to the Beasts, but then Link stopped them.

"No, wait."

Everyone spun around, shocked. The voice wasn't that familiar to them, but they all knew where it must have come from. Zelda stared at Link. Even during all their time together, he rarely spoke at all, just gave grunts or a simple "yes" or "no".

"What are you talking about?" Zelda asked in shock. "We need their help!"

Link looked back over to the castle. "T-the Guardians.. They're being controlled by Ganon." Link was slightly amused when he saw everyone step back. They have never heard him speak so many words. Of course, he knew how to talk, but he rarely ever spoke. Ever since he was chosen by the Sword, he had carried the burden and responsibility of Hyrule's Hero...silently. He would have chuckled at the sight of the Champions, but now wasn't the time.

"Oh no!" Zelda gasped.

"What if...the Divine Beasts?" Everyone looked at each other with grim expressions. The Divine Beasts were also Sheikah tech, and if Guardians could be controlled...

"Then what do we do?" It was Mipha who spoke up this time. She wasn't the bravest of the Champions or the strongest. She was just the small, shy Zora, but she was still a Champion. She had to do something. Link took a deep breath as if preparing for a speech. "Daruk and Urbosa, I need you two to protect the people from the guardians. Take out as many as you can. Mipha and Revali, help the people escape. Try to get as many as you can to help you search out for survivors and get them to safety. Once you have enough help, Revali, fly up and shoot down the Guardians from above, especially the Skywatchers."

If Link thought the others were weirded out earlier, then that was nothing compared to now. Everyone looked at each other then back at Link. Except for Mipha, who was overjoyed to her Link's voice.

He paused and turned to Mipha, with a caring look in his eyes. He didn't want any of them getting hurt, but he especially couldn't lose Mipha. Can't lose the princess either, he reminded himself, trying to get his mind of Mipha. He had to stop feeling this way. She was just a friend, no more. She had her place as a princess, and he had his. "Mipha, I need you to try and heal as many injured people as you can. I know it's a big job, but..."

He walked over and placed his hand her shoulder before bringing her into an embrace. Mipha was a dear childhood friend. She watched over him like an aunt or big sister. Eventually, he grew up and caught up with her in age. She was the one out of the Champions that he was closest to. "I believe you can do it," he said softly. Mipha felt hopeful. if Link thought she could do it, she would do all she could to try. No, she thought, I can't try to save them, I HAVE to save them.

"Be careful Link," she said. "I believe in you too."

Revali scoffed. "Touching moment, but can we get on with the plan already?" They were waisting time. The group ran as fast as they could to the castle, awaiting their final showdown against Ganon.

AN: Thanks for reading the first chapter! Sorry, it's kind of short, I will try to have them at least reach 2k to 3k words. This is my second story and I REALLY enjoyed writing this part. Please let me know in the comments how you liked it. Until next time!

Also, I will try to update every one or 1.5 weeks. (Is there really such a thing as half a week? 7/2...3.5 so...maybe?) I am working on a few other stories. I will be alternating because I may get some writer's block. If you read any of my stories, please feel free to put some ideas in the comments. I look forward to writing the rest!