Chapter 3: Awake yet sleepyhead?

Three days past. Three long, desolate days. Mipha sat in the shrine, leaning against the edge of the pool in the middle of the shrine. She let out a sigh and turned back to check on Link. He was still sleeping, just like when she checked a minute ago. She was just so anxious for him to wake up and return to her. Three days might not seem like a long time, but it was for Mipha. She just wanted him awake, to see his face again, smiling like he used to before any of this.

When he picked up the sword, it really changed him. He silently bore the burden of wielding the legendary sword and being the hero of Hyrule. He rarely talked, just a "hello" there or a nod of agreement. She remembered spying on Link one time; her friend Kodah took him out on a "date." It really was just a walk to the top of Veiled Falls. They sat down and Kodah tried to make small talk.

***

"So...how've you been?" Kodah looked towards Link, trying to get his attention. She was disappointed, however, when he just nodded and continued looking off into the distance.

"I'm fine," he whispered. That had basically ended any talk between them, but it was as if a wave had separated them completely. Well, Link wasn't there with Kodah, but she was both aware and concerned for Link. Kodah didn't feel like asking if he was ok, she didn't want to push him. She later asked Mipha what had happened.

"Linny won't talk much. He just stares and--" she gasped. "Wait! I didn't make him mad or anything did I?"

"No, you didn't. I'm sure." Mipha looked around. Link wasn't to be found anywhere. Probably guarding Zelda. "He's been like that to everyone...even me." Link wasn't the boy she knew before. He probably would never be the same boy, who got excited over catching a Sneaky River Snail, or giggled as he pulled pranks on everyone with the Big Bad Bazz Brigade.

But somewhere, deep inside, he was still there: the young swordsman she had fallen in love with.

***

But that was all in the past. Mipha was just glad that she could hear Link's voice again before he slept in the shrine. But that was the day of the Calamity. The day when there was so much destruction and everyone di-- NO STOP! She cut her thoughts off. She didn't want to think back to that day. The horror, the charred smell of burnt bodies. There was no way she could relive that again.

Mipha sighed. It was around lunchtime so she dug into the bag she brought for a fish. She took out the last one: a Mighty Porgie. I guess I have to catch some more later. She hated having to leave Link sleeping, but she didn't want to starve or have Link awake to the sight of her dead corpse next to him. She silently ate her fish and sat back down.

Splash

What was that?

Splash splash slosh

That was the sound of water moving behind her. She turned around but Link was still sleeping. Something cold and slimy fell on her hand. She turned over and a small frog was there, blinking its little smug eyes at her.

"Stop getting my hopes up." She shooed the frog out of the cave. It turned back once to give her a scornful look, then hopped away.

Splash

"Ugh, another fro...what!?" When she turned around, a boy was sitting up from inside the pool. He shook his head, then scratched his dirty-blonde hair. He scanned the room, then his eyes fell on her. His entire face lit up, and he looked like he had found...let's just say that it was like nothing Mipha had ever seen.