Chapter 1- 14 years later... (updated)

Maryse

Today is the day.

I'm terrified.

Magnus will take my baby boy away to do what only he knows as unspeakable things to him. The fire message he sent stated that he'll come tonight, as he promised fourteen years ago. As I promised him fourteen years ago. It's all my fault.

Alec is still sleeping in his room I guess; he likes cat naps in the afternoon, a sweet trait he's kept since he was a newborn. I'm glad that all my children became dominant and won't have to go through the torture a submissive like me normally has to endure, but for Alec this does mean that he'll have to repress that dominant part of himself to be a sub. And this will hurt, a lot since his dom-blood will try to push through.

I still need to tell my baby boy that his carefree life ends now... I had to protect my three other children, even if Alec and I share a special bond. I hope he'll forgive me one day and know that I still love him. I know he is not a little boy anymore, but in my head he'll always be my baby boy, even if he is taller than me and basically a grown man. But his eyes...with the innocence in the blue, the innocence that a terrible Warlock will take from him with whatever cruelty he has had the time to plan in all this time.

I thought about it a lot the last days and honestly, I wish I could just have another day, just one in which I can see him play with his siblings and share secrets with his parabatai. But it's too late. The day has come. Maybe if I'm lucky, this is only a goodbye and by the angel Raziel I'll pray every single day that Alec will be fine or at least not tortured. But Magnus always lets the Nephilim pay dearly. His hatred for my kind is justified, I can only hope he won't let it all out on my Alec. He doesn't know much about this world. Only about the parabatai bond.

I get up and knock on Alec's door, every breath I take bringing me closer to the moment when I'll break my boys' life, when I tell him that I traded his life, for the safety of his siblings, even though he was the first on earth. The first I got to birth and hold and love.

"Come in mom!", I shouldn't wonder that he knows that it's me, he smells the scent of my sub blood since he's a little boy. I open the door and see my beautiful son reading one of his books on his bed, he looks up and my face must look horrible because he immediately gets up and hugs me.

"Mom? What is it?", his worried voice feels comforting but at the same time breaks me. A single tear leaves my eyes as I pull out of the embrace and look at my oldest son. The son who will protect Jace, Izzy and Max, because I failed in doing that. Because I don't have the blood required to do it by myself...

"Alec...I'm sorry. I need to tell you something", Alec looks at me and I only see how much he cares and it kills me. I sit on his bed with him, take a deep breath and tell him that his life as he has known it is over...