Chapter Eight

Christmas 2012

Age 18

Red, white, and green decorated the dorm room in celebration of the Christmas season. Sam and her university roommate, Cass, were watching Home Alone while stuffing themselves with candy canes and gingerbread cookies.

Despite having been given the choice to go home, both Cass and Sam preferred staying in the dorm room. Cass didn't tell Sam her reason but Sam had nothing to go home to except Adrian.

Then again, that boy was a whole other matter. With their choice of university, they were separated by a great deal of distance. Sam had chosen to head to Washington State University while Adrian opted for a university that was closer to home.

She still remembered the day they had the talk about their relationship. Adrian had a strong feeling that they would make it because of their history together. He had promised that they would make it work and she believed him so she made the same promise. They had made the most of their last summer together and parted ways.

So far, Adrian had held fast to his promise and so had Sam. They always made time to talk or Skype.

Obviously, one month ago, her announcement of staying in her dorm had placed some tension in their relationship but they had gotten over it easily.

Sam explained that she had taken so long to get used to the dorm that she wanted to stay there instead of going back home and having to readjust again. It was a lie of course, one that Adrian saw right through, but once he realized that she wouldn't budge on the matter, he accepted it.

"I've got it!" Cass shouted, jolting Sam out of her memories. She blinked at Cass confusedly. "Someone knocked on the door?"

"Oh?" Sam questioned blankly.

"Oh my gosh, you deaf child. I swear sometimes, you can get so absorbed into the smart mind of yours!" Cass teased while opening the door and poking her head out. Sam heard her speaking to someone before opening the door wider and letting them in.

"Surprise Sam."

Those two words had her snapping her head to the door.

"A-Adrian?" She whispered disbelievingly. He smiled gently at her.

Sam screamed excitedly, and ran at him. She jumped into his open arms and hugged him tightly.

"Gosh I've missed you Sam." He mumbled. She hummed in agreement and held him tighter. She was probably cutting off his air supply but he wasn't complaining.

Cass coughed, breaking apart the happy reunion.

"Ahem, introduction?" She coughed out shamelessly. Sam shot a playful glare at her friend.

"Cass, this is Adrian, my boyfriend. Adrian, this my idiot roommate, Cass."

"She means fabulous roommate Cass. I'm the only who can understand her when she wants to run down halls yelling I love Adrian." Cass corrected. Adrian raised an eyebrow at the last part.

"She's lying!" Sam defended instantly.

"I'm not! I even have the video of it!" Cass yelped, running to get her phone.

Seconds later, she was bounding back. She held the phone in Adrian's face, playing a video of Sam running down a crowded hall, yelling those exact words. Adrian laughed at the video while Sam buried her face in his arms.

"That was only because you dared me and I was feeling bold!"

"Well..." Cass trailed off, "You could have chickened out but you didn't! Which means part of you wanted to do it." Sam's friend grinned evilly and Sam reddened even further.