04

04

       “Alright, Ferd Caelestis, Itxaro, launching off,” announced Ferd as he pushed the two joysticks he was holding, allowing the catapult to launch the Mech into outer space. Once outside, he was greeted by laser fires from five enemy Jacobins.

        “What in the world is that Mech?” asked the pilot of one of the one-eyed Mech.

       “I don’t know but look at it, it looks like nothing but a skeleton. It might be fun to destroy it,” answered another pilot.

       “No no no, let’s destroy it piece by piece, making the pilot’s death slow and painful,” said the third pilot.

       “I like that answer. Let’s have fun,” said the fourth pilot.

       “Be careful, Ferd. Times have changed. Itxaro is not as tough as it used to at your time so try not to get wrecked,” said Nozomi through the radio.

       Ferd took a deep breath as he fiddled around with the joysticks, getting familiarise with Itxaro. The memory was coming back to him. Reminiscing his years of training, he jolted at the joysticks, allowing Itxaro to dodge a dagger thrown by one of the Jacobins. The other Jacobins opened fire but Ferd activated Itxaro’s boosters, thrusting the Mech upwards and dodging the laser fires.

       “Let’s see what do you got, Itxaro,” said Ferd as he fiddled with the control pad. An icon of a dagger was shown on screen.

       “AE-011 Ceramic Dagger, huh?” With the dagger selected, a hatch opened on Itxaro’s right thigh, launching the dagger into the Mech’s hand. One of the Jacobins lunged towards Itxaro but the silver Mech dodged it and plunged the dagger into the enemy’s cockpit. After that, he kicked the one-eyed Mech back to its companions. Once there, the downed Mech exploded, shattering the ceramic dagger, its debris struck two nearby Jacobins. As the debris latched on the two’s cockpit, the detonation pack hidden within them exploded, destroying the two Mechs.

       “Three Jacobins destroyed in one move. What is that Mech?” asked the once cocky Jacobin pilot. The two remaining Jacobins opened fire but Itxaro once again dodged the laser fires. He took out a laser pistol from a hatch on his left thigh. The Mech fired at the Jacobins but they were able to dodge them.

       Ferd focused on the enemies’ movement. Judging on the enemies’ propulsion, he managed to predict where they’ll stop. With pinpoint accuracy, he shot 45 degrees right, blasting through the cockpit of one of the Jacobins.

       The pilot of the remaining Jacobin panicked when he saw his teammate’s Mech exploded. He turned to retreat but a lance of pure energy pierced through the cockpit. As the pilot looked in fear, the remaining Jacobin exploded. Ferd looked on in fear. He didn’t fire the lance.

       Another energy lance flew by Itxaro, nearly hit the head. He turned around but before he could aim, the laser pistol was destroyed by another energy lance. Shocked, Ferd looked at his assaulter. It resembles any other Jacobin. However, instead of the blood red colour, the Mech was painted gold. The golden Jacobin took out an energy whip and lashed out at Itxaro. It wrapped around the silver Mech’s ankle, digging deep into the joint. With that, the golden Jacobin pulled the silver Mech towards him.