Chapter 11: Ill

"More disappearances". Excellent. What better way to start my morning than some more good news? We are relieved to be back at Hogwarts but the situation in the Wizarding World is not getting better. The Dark Forces are awakening and growing stronger as the days go by. I fear for my parents, I fear for my friends, I fear for my classmates. If Draco was the one who gave away our location, could I really put my love for him above the safety of my friends, above my own safety, above my family's safety? Could he have betrayed me this way? I don't want to believe that he could but it would not surprise. 

"You have to realize who you are, Harry. Otherwise you'll get yourself killed." I tell Harry, worried about his wellbeing. 

"I know who I am Hermione, alright?" Harry says, annoyed that I am so concerned. I understand how frustrating it must be for him to be so special, so threatened. It must be tremendously worrying to never feel safe, to never feel tranquil, to never feel at home. He apologizes. 

"What would Draco want with a Vanishing Cabinet?" I ask.

"You tell me." He looks me straight into the eyes. I shrug and genuinely think about what he could be doing with such an object, where it could be hidden and why he has not told me anything about it. 

"He looks different, don't you think? Draco. Almost...ill."

"Who could tel the difference?"

Oh, Harry... I could.

***

Harry, Ron, Lavender and I are sitting in front of the Common's Room fire. Lavender takes out a small, carefully wrapped package from her back pocket and places it in front of Ron. She looks up at him expectantly, a complete and utter smile on her face. 

"Come on. Open it."

"Lavender, sweetie, you did not have to get me anything." Says Ron, anxiously looking around to see if anyone is witnessing the scene. 

"Fine, I'll open it since you're so slow." She says, giggling. She pulls the strings on the package and pulls out a gold necklace which has written: "My Sweetheart" on it. She looks at him, expectantly. Harry holds in his laughter. I am petrified and embarrassed for Ron. Honestly, what will this boy do for love? She is the most clingy and annoying person I have probably ever met. 

"Lav, c'mon. Of course I'll wear it." He says, clearly only attempting to smile. 

"That's my Won-Won." She says, proudly. How could someone ever think of wasting money on such an idiotic present? Harry lets out a cough, clearly trying to contain his laughter, again. I've had enough. 

"Excuse me, I have to go vomit." I take my stuff and leave from the Common Room, using the nauseating sensation as an excuse to find my sweetheart. 

***

I walk down the halls, towards the Slytherin Common Room. I borrowed Harry's Invisibility Cloak for a good cause. I patiently wait behind the Door of the Slytherin Area for someone to open it so that I can sneak in. Obviously, no other than Pansy Parkinson could be the one to kindly open the door for me. I sneak in and look around. Walking into a dormitory that is not your own can be quite confusing, considering you do not know where to go or which room belongs to whom. Luckily enough, I hear some steps moving closer to me and notice Draco walking down the stone steps of the Common Room. I stop in front of him. I pull up the Cloak. He almost stumbles at the unexpected sight of me. I throw the Cloak on him. I pull up my index to my mouth: "Sh". I point towards the exit door. Together, trying to coordinate our steps, we walk to our usual place, careful not to be seen. I am angry at him as I do not yet know what he knew and what and if he told and I am ready to scream at him as soon as I am in a safe and sound environment.

As soon as we're in the Room of Requirements, I throw off the Cloak and start screaming, as soon as I am sure no one can hear me. 

"I am sorry Draco but what the fuck! I trusted you. I told you where I was going for Christmas, I told you I didn't feel safe going back home. And you..." I point towards him accusingly. "You told You-Know-How and your fucking, evil friends where Harry was and where I was and where Ron was. How could you?" Tears prickle my eyes. "I thought I could trust you." My hands are shaking and they are moving around and about. "I only told you where I was going for Christmas and Harry and Ron are not dumb enough to tell anyone else where we were so I am sure it was you... It must have been you. I trusted you, Draco. I am not afraid of confronting you and..."

"Hermione, please stop." He raises his hands in front of him and pushes towards my shoulders, trying to make me stand still and trying to keep me calm. "Please, let me talk."

I quiet down and allow him talk, stupidly ready to listen to any pathetic excuse he has for himself. 

"I did not tell anyone anything. I don't know who told Voldemort where Harry was for Christmas. Maybe someone found out. People talk. I did not tell him, I would never have betrayed you this way." He looks up to me, tears in his eyes. "Do you not trust me, Hermione? Do you really think I could be capable of selling you out, of putting you at risk? Why would I want to risk losing the only thing I love?" He moves closer to me. He is hurt. I was mean, I was unfair. I didn't ask for an explanation, I didn't ask him if he did it, I only accused him without proof. I was stupid. 

"No, baby, I am so sorry. I don't know why... It's just... We almost saw Ginny and Harry die and... Obviously, I thought we had to find someone to blame. You know, it has to be someone's fault. I don't know why I would think it was you. I just... It's just a difficult situation. I trust you, I really do baby. But it is in no one's control and I thought that maybe he tortured you or something..." 

He moves towards me and hugs me and we both start crying. 

"I will never betray you Hermione. I promise. It will be the last thing I do." In his arms, even if for an instant, I feel safe.