Chapter 4: Chaos in the Forest

"Erik, don't forget Vidia's bagels," Briar said, her eyes scanning up and the shopping list. "I think we bought half of the supermarket, Briar," he grunted, pushing the heavy shopping cart. "Well, we were running out of food! We don't have magical cabinets that restock food on their own!" She grumbled, blowing a strand of auburn hair from her face. He grinned at the idea. "That would be a super cool thing if it could, though." She glared at him, turning her gaze back to the small piece of paper. "Ah shoot, we forgot something," she said, balling up the list and putting it in her pocket. "Just wait for me at the cash register, I'll be right back--" She sprinted off before Erik had the chance to protest. He sighed, turning the cart around. There wasn't a lot of people in the store today, which was good. He caught a whiff of dirt and rain when someone opened the door, looking up with a jolt. The dark cover of the clouds was making it look like it was already nighttime, and he had a sinking feeling that they had to get out of there fast. "Where is she?" He said, tapping his fingers on his arms, suddenly feeling super jumpy. "We need to get out of here, fast!" Briar said, as if reading his mind. She came up behind him, dropping a bag of bread in the cart. She was so much shorter than Erik, that it startled him when she just appeared out of nowhere. "What is it?" She demanded. He shook his head, looking ahead and furrowing his brows. The line was taking forever, and outside, lightning slashed through the sky. Erik was listening closely to the noises coming from outside the store in curiosity, and he must've been very distracted because he imagined a wolf howling in the distance. His green eyes widened, and he shook Briar by the arm. "Shadow wolves..." She met his eyes, and they came to a sudden agreement. They left the cart off to one side, and ran out into the rain. They were too far from the cabin, and they wouldn't make it in time on foot. Erik scratched his head in frustration, getting a crazy idea. "Oh no no, no!" Briar said. "We are not turning into wolves in the middle of the city, Erik!" He gave her a pleading puppy eyed look. "Ugh, fine! Let's just get out of the crowd," she yelled over the thunder. As soon as they were back to the edge of the forest, they made sure no humans were around and turned into wolves, running swiftly back to their cabin, where all the chaos seemed to be coming from.  

"Here, take my hand--" Crash. "We need to leave, now! " Vidia yelled, pulling Ariel down from the broken window. The wind was so strong now it was making it very difficult for them both to see. Ariel had some cuts on her face already, and Vidia a knot on her forehead from a wild branch. Fog swirled around them, and Ariel froze in place, a wild look in her eyes filled with fear. "The dream...the dream--" Vidia looked at her in alarm. "What dream? Ariel calm down, I'm here!" She shook her by the shoulders, and Ariel came back. She was still fazed, her eyes widening as her gaze registered the figures emerging from the shadows. "Vidia...Vidia Shadow wolves," she said in a low voice, shaking. "You remember how to turn into your other form, right?" She asked, her gaze unmoving from the spot the shapes were coming from. Ariel stayed quiet, and Vidia cursed, drawing one of her many long knives. "Stay behind me." Howling filled the air, and the dark shapes fully materialized, just as the sky broke open and it began to rain. About three figures stood before them: one was a young man with striking blue  eyes and dirty blonde hair falling over his eyes, fashionably dressed in a grey pea coat against the cold. He smiled darkly. On each side he had a huge black wolf, looking like they were made up of moving shadows and fog. They snarled quietly, and Vidia growled back. "Who are you, and why are you here?" She asked in a cold tone. The boy's eyes glittered. "Believe me, you wouldn't want to know who I am." His voice had a tinge of an English accent. Vidia finally registered the two wolves beside him, and he sighed. The one on his right bared his teeth. "I see you've already met my right hand, Roen. That shouldn't have gone pretty," he mused, his eyes landing on Vidia's dagger. "A Moonclaw weapon..." he said, slightly fascinated. Ariel was quiet behind Vidia, her blood pounding in her head. "You still haven't answered any of my questions," Vidia said on guard. "That's right, I haven't. Very well, my name is Caleb de la Rand," he bowed. My prince is not supposed to be bowing to Moonclaws. A voice rumbled around them. Vidia inhaled sharply, making the connection. "You're Malchior's son," she sneered. "King Malchior, but indeed," he gave them a half smile. "What do you want from us? And why did he send you and not some mercenaries to kill us?" She asked, stepping away slowly. The prince looked surprised. "Kill you? My, what would make you think we came to kill you? No, we're here for her," he nodded towards Ariel, his expression suddenly unreadable. Ariel grunted, her headache making spots dance before her eyes. "There's nothing special about me, your highness," she said, drawling out his title. His nostrils flared. "You have no idea what you are capable of, my dear," he said, putting out his arm to stop his wolves from attacking. Vidia stole a glance at her, and she could feel the anger and fear coming off of her. "Ariel, your eyes," she whispered. Her eyes had started to glow a dark purple hue. Caleb froze, just for a second, recalculating. "Attack," he whispered, his expression unbelievably cold. And so they did. Both ran at Vidia, and she shot one of her many knives into the shoulder of one of the wolves, taking him momentarily down. Now the other one had tackled her to the ground, pinning her arms so that she couldn't get her dagger back. Ariel didn't know what to do, so she yelled and ran at the big wolf, finding newfound strength and pushing him off Vidia. In a flash of light, she had turned into a small silver wolf, her eyes a dark purple, with her teeth snarling by the other wolf's throat. "Ariel, let's get out of here--Umph," Caleb had raised a sword by her head. "Ariel, is it?" She turned her attention to him, snarling. "Let go of my soldier or I kill your friend," he said, digging the tip of his sword deeper into her neck. Vidia grunted, mustering a smile. "You have no idea who you're pointing your sword to, your majesty." He chuckled. "Alaric Aragon, yes, the Alpha's daughter you are," he said, as he dug the sword so deep a few drops of blood shone on the blade. Vidia looked up, and Ariel whimpered, letting go of the bigger wolf. "Good good. Now, tie her up." He said, turning his gaze to Vidia. "Oh, and this one you can leave behind. Well, until we need a hostage to bargain with the Moonclaw king, that is." He said, kicking Vidia to the ground. "Stop! Let her go!" She yelled, her chin dripping with blood. "Till we meet again, Moonclaw, it was a pleasure to meet you," he gave her a cold smile, disappearing with his wolves and Ariel into the shadows.

Vidia screamed in anger and grief, digging frantically around where the Shadow wolves and Ariel were a moment before, trying to find the way they went back. The tears from her eyes mixed in with the rain falling against her face, washing some of the blood and dirt off. "Vidia?" Briar's voice came behind her. She swirled around, and Erik ran towards her with a blanket from inside the cabin. "What happened?" Briar asked, but Vidia didn't reply. She was left looking at the spot where Ariel was two minutes ago, frustrated with herself. "We're too late, that's what happened," Erik said helplessly. He glared upwards at the rain, as if that could make it stop pouring. "They took her," Vidia grunted, struggling to get up. "Look, Vidia, if we're going to get her back, we need to--" he started, but Briar interrupted him. "Let's just get you inside, we'll light the fire, warm up." She said. Vidia took a trembling breath, shaking against the cold. "That sounds like a great idea." 

They sat around the coffee table on the comfy couches, while Erik struggled to light the moist logs in the fireplace. He grinned triumphantly when he finally got it ablaze , passing around some mugs of tea. "Sorry, we're trying to be depressing, got it." That got a glare from both Vidia and Briar. "Hey, all I'm saying is that while being depressing is great, we just need a good plan to get Ariel back. And look! We'll be in Liberion--at the same time, guys!" He said, trying to persuade them. Briar sighed. "I hate to agree with him, but he's right." Vidia held the mug in both her hands, trying to warm them up as she was staring into the flames. "I know he's right, but there's that minor problem of actually getting into Liberion." She took a sip, pondering the very few ideas swirling slowly around her head. Briar looked at both of them, like the solution was obvious. "What?" Erik asked. "We'll capture a Shade." She said. "You make that sound soo easy," he grumbled sarcastically. "Briar, it's a great idea but if they can just travel through shadows, we need to keep him in like, a ridiculously bright room." He said, motioning wildly with his hands. Vidia was starting to get an inkling of an idea. "What if we use aconite?" They both looked at her as if she was crazy. "And get killed in the process? Sure, Vee, let's do that." Erik groaned. Briar was staring, her mind far away. "It could work," she shrugged. Erik looked up in disbelief. "What? I can make it into a tea, or I don't know, spread it on his jacket." She was starting to hate the idea. "Yes, Briar, we'll invite the nice Shadow wolf into our lovely home, bind him up, and force him to drink the poisoned tea. Good plan, good plan." He said. "Erik, cut the sarcasm." He opened his mouth to say something, but she stopped him with a glare. "Seriously."  He lifted his hands up in surrender, flopping onto a seat, tired from pacing the room. "Believe it or not, Spades, this is our only plan so far. It might not be a very smart plan, but at least we might be able to get him to take us back to Liberion, oh, and bring back Ariel in the process." She said, meeting their eyes. "Fine, so let's find us a Shade." He said, getting up from his chair, but Briar pulled him back down. "I forget you're strong for such a small being," he grumbled, and she rammed her elbow into his ribs. Vidia rolled her eyes. "Wonderful, get your jackets and let's go werewolf hunting." She chuckled dryly. "I'll get the wolfsbane," Briar sighed, walking over to the kitchen. Meanwhile, Erik was putting on a dark denim jacket he found stored in his room, super warm thanks to the wool lining. Vidia smirked. "What?" He demanded. She nodded towards his new jacket. "Briar will want to steal that from you at some point, believe me." She said with a small laugh. "Hey, no, what's that supposed to mean?!" Vidia stuffed her hands in her pockets, heading outside without replying to him. He shook his head, reluctantly heading outside. Briar was the last one out. It was so cold, that small puffs appeared when one of them spoke. They had to make this, their one plan, work. Who knew how much in danger Ariel was in Liberion...

I'm not really sure about how this chapter came out, but I hope you all liked it and stay tuned for the next chapter! :)  Oh, and don't forget to vote!!