Chapter 6: The Obsidian Plan

The group of three ended up staying over at their cabin, while Selene went to her mother's house to get the stone. Vidia was anxiously pacing the living room, going around and around the coffee table and the different assortment of couches and chairs. Erik crouched by the fireplace, rubbing his hands together trying to get warm. And Briar was the only one sleeping, right on the biggest couch, surprisingly without hearing Vidia's continuous pacing. "Vidia will you calm down? You're gonna make a pacing track in the floorboards, man." He said, staring up at her. She stopped. "I just don't trust that dryad...And also, Ariel might be in a whole lot of danger. Wait, hold on, what day is it?" Erik frowned. "Why?" She stood thinking. "Remember each year in that big clearing in Crescent Valley--the annual ball that everyone from every pack came to? I think, before we were stranded here," she chuckled dryly. "I overheard my father say it was going to be in the Shadow's kingdom." Erik inhaled sharply. "That's...just wonderful." He muttered under his breath. "So now it's not going to be just about getting Ariel back, it's about introducing her to the pack at the same time--" Erik stood up suddenly. "The Shadow wolves after all this time...they couldn't be hosting the ball this year as a sign of peace, Vee. They're going to attack Crescent Valley when nobody's there--" Vidia's eyes widened, taking a few steps backwards and hitting the coffee table with the back of her legs. Briar woke up, grumbling under her breath. "What's going on?" She asked, worry etching her face. Vidia muttered curse words under her breath, all aimed at the tyrant royals of the Shadow Kingdom, pacing around the room. "Erik?" Briar said. He had a solemn look on his face. "We figured out the Shadow wolves' plan," he said quietly. "What do you mean? What plan? And how is Ariel related to any of this??" Vidia stopped her pacing, her gaze serious and fearful as she met Briar's. "They're going to attack Crescent Valley when all the Packs are at the castle enjoying the ball." She said grimly. The door swished open, and Selene stood huffing out of breath, a big proud smile on her face as she lifted a small little leather pouch. "Anybody ask for a small obsidian stone?"

The three of them packed what they needed, hoping this would work and that they wouldn't be coming back to this cabin. Selene was outside, waiting for the moon to be at a certain angle in the sky and for the dirt to be watered. Weird, I know, but who understands dryads? Anyway, the group looked as if they were going on a weekend hiking trip to the mountains, not to the magical realm of werewolves to bring back their friend from the Shadow kingdom. They stood for a moment in the living room, putting out the fire and shutting the windows and everything so nobody would break in. The Shadow wolves could catch their scent just by being on the porch, so the faster they left the safer they would be. "I'm wondering if we're gonna miss this place," Vidia mumbled. Briar lifted an eyebrow. "A sanctuary for any supernatural kind? Of course we'll miss it." She said. Erik shrugged. "Who knows? We might be back here sooner than we think." Vidia frowned, but shook it off. "Let's see what our little dryad has planned outside." She waved, heading outside. The night was clear surprisingly, but it was still a tad cold. Selene had drawn something in the dirt, and in the circle at the center was the small obsidian stone. Four lines were drawn coming out of it, and each of them stood on one. "What are we waiting for?" Vidia asked. The dryad rolled her eyes. "Two things, Moonclaw: werewolf blood, and the moon." Erik and Briar shared a look. "What do you mean werewolf blood?" Vidia said, lifting her chin. "Well, if we use my blood, the portal will take us to my house or where the rest of Pandora's coven is." She said as a matter of fact. Erik stepped forward, lifting his arm out. "Take my blood." Selene chuckled. "We use your blood and we'll end up in California, silly." He stood there in confusion. "My family is in Liberion," he said. "But they were born there," she said softly. Poor Erik, he looked like a lost puppy. Briar shot a glare at Selene, putting a hand on his shoulder. "The only pureblood here is Vidia, Erik," she murmured. Vidia sighed, stepping forward. "You don't get queasy at the sight of blood, do you, alpha's daughter?" Selene said under her breath. Vidia stared forward into the woods. "No, just take the blood and shut up." The dryad mustered a small smile, digging the small knife in Vidia's palm. She winced, but didn't say anything. The wind picked up, and a few drops of her blood dropped on the fresh dirt, then right on the obsidian stone. For a second, nothing happened, but when the moon peaked from behind a cloud, the ground started rumbling, swallowing the blood covered obsidian stone. "Wonderful, I give blood and the stone disappears." Vidia grumbles. "Just wait, alpha's daughter," Selene smiled wistfully. The wind picked up, and in the middle of thin air, a fold opened slowly, letting in light from a different forest bathed in warm light. The three werewolves gasped, stumbling backwards. "Don't stray from the lines!" Selene yelled. "Just stand still for two seconds, Moonclaws. It's almost done," she murmured. The silver light from around them shone through the portal, making the grass turn into the colors of autumn. "Almost..." a shing! rang through them, along with a blinding light, and they stumbled onto solid ground, summery smells and birds singing in the background. "We did it...Liberion..."