Chapter 1 (A normal day)

Three angels are sent down to bring good to the world: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, a teenage girl who is the least experienced of the trio. But she is the most human, and when she is romantically drawn to a mortal boy, the angels fear she will not be strong enough to save anyone―especially herself―from the Dark Forces.

Is love a great enough power against evil?

I love books. And this book seemed to sound pretty good so I walked over to the line that trailed behind the librarians desk. It was 8:04 A.M and since my younger sister's elementary school started half an hour before mine, I was always early to school and today I decided to spend my free time in the library. I finally got to the front of the line where Mrs. Wyzard sat. Her desk gleamed in the faded white light, a wondrous disaster that only she had a mental GPS. Her dress caught my eye today, a striking fuchsia buttoned up shirt tucked into black denim capris, topped with a pair of cheap plastic cheetah sunglasses. The fuchsia went with her skin tone well and the glasses brought out her jet black hair.

"I love your outfit." I complimented.

"I'm glad you do." Mrs. Wyzard remarked. I loved how important she made me feel.

"So how are you?" I asked, pulling my student ID from my badge. A year ago, I had been given a student ID that I could use to check out books and buy lunch. To make sure I wouldn't lose it, I had slid it into a badge that I kept in my pocket next to my non-existent phone. It read Sofia Johnson with my photo on it. I looked like a wet koala.

"I am absolutely wonderful! How are you?"

"Eh..."

"Well, that's a bummer. Are you checking this book in?"

"Yes."

"Okay, then."

With that she started scanning the book and placing it on the second rack in her cart as I walked away exclaiming 'Bye' over my shoulder. About halfway out the library I realised that I had meant to take the book with me which probably makes it checking the book out. I turned back embarrassed and stood in line again. Three people later I stood in front of Mrs. Wayzard like an idiot and mumbled "I'm sorry I wanted to check that book out not in."

"No worries,I make that mistake all the time. Let me get it for you."

She bent down to the second rack in her cart where she had kept my book.

"Halo by Alexandra Adornetto?"

"That's the one." I admitted

She scanned the book and slid it over to me.

"Well it's a great book, sweetie. Have a good day!"

"You too." I replied.

As I walked down the halls, random thoughts drifted their way into my head, as they often did when my brain sat unoccupied. My name is Sofia. Literally the most common name in the world, and it's not even spelled in a different way. I go to Walsh public school in Austin, Texas and I am in seventh grade. I'm also a pretty average student, usually all A's but sometimes a B or two. I live in a family of four, a mom, dad, and younger sister. I'm completely normal. And believe me, I know, whenever someone says that something abnormal always happens but I'm just normal. No buts about it. That's one of the reasons I like reading fantasy, because it gives you an adventurous experience without having to actually experience it. Some of my favorite authors are people like J.K. Rowling, Marie Lu and most of all... Rick Riordan.

I suddenly realize I'm spacing out but when I look up it's too late...

Bonk, I bumped into the wall in front of me. Oh the struggles of life. If only wizards would come to life and if only my normal could be that abnormal.