Prologue: The First Encounter

The embers of the grand fireplace in the castle crackled and fumed, much like Taehyung's mind at that moment. He exhaled forcefully and put his head in his hands. The responsibilities that came with his duties as the Prince of Novea and heir to the throne, were never new to him, yet always overwhelming. He sometimes wished he could be a regular citizen, without the facade of royalty and the tediousness of politics to hold him back -- or, a break from the kingdom would be nice once in a while. This was why he found himself leaving the castle, escaping his bodyguards, and letting his feet carry him wherever they desired. Taehyung ended up at the river Nadiya, looking over the vast expanse of water to the Kadence Kingdom.

     Gazing over the river, he was reminded of the reason why his job was even more stressful at the moment. The Kadence Kingdom was never an ally with Novea. There was always constant animosity because of bad blood that dated generations ago. Theft, murder, and cover-ups pervaded the history between the two kingdoms, making for difficult relations.

     Breaking him from his thoughts, he heard the snap of a twig nearby. "That's strange, I thought I was alone," he murmured to himself. "Who's there?" he called out. Snap. Taehyung followed the sound this time, curious to see who or what was accompanying him in a typically empty part of the river.

      "Damn it!" he heard a soft whisper and cautiously walked towards it.

     "Hello? Are you alright?" he called out, walking a few more steps before glimpsing a black coat just behind some branches. He walked gently towards the person, careful not to startle them. "Do you need help, sir?" he asked.

      The person turned around, ombre locks messily tumbling out from the coat. Her face was completely covered by a black hood, except for her rosy lips and slender neck. "Do I look like a sir to you?" she demanded.

     Taehyung blushed and immediately apologized. "I just wanted to help, you seem hurt," he gestured to her leg, which was bleeding.

     "I'm fine, thank you," she said sharply, trying to stand on her own, but caught herself slipping once again. But this time, before she could feel herself hit the ground, she felt arms secured around her to break the fall. She inhaled sharply, looking into this stranger's eyes, very conscious of the little space between them. She noticed his attractive features, the high cheekbones, and the sharp jawline, but quickly disentangled herself from him before he could catch her staring. Taehyung, on the other hand, couldn't glimpse anything except those red lips.

     "With all due respect, Miss, you don't seem fine..." said Taehyung courteously.

     "Even if I wasn't, you don't look like someone who could help me," the girl snapped back.

     Taehyung was not fond of her attitude. "Maybe, but I know people who could. I am the prince of Novea after all."

     Although hidden from Taehyung's view, the girl's eyes widened in recognition. So this is the Prince, she thought to herself. I can't let him see my face. The Duke didn't want us to meet this way. Not yet. She pulled her hood down further while asking "Is that supposed to mean something to me?"

      "Why are you hiding your face from me? Are you hurt there too?" he asked, ignoring her question and reaching to take her hood off. She grabbed his wrist before he could touch her and twisted it back so that he fell to his knees and yelled in pain. "Whoa, whoa, I'm just trying to help you!" he exclaimed, but the girl remained suspicious.

     "I don't need your help, and I certainly don't need you to take off my hood for me!" she glared at him. She hated it when people touched her without permission.

     "Okay, okay, I'm sorry. Can you release your death grip now?"

     She eyed him, debating in her head for a few seconds, then remembered he was the Prince and decided to let him go.

     "Thank you," he said exasperatedly, brushing off the dirt from his knees. She scoffed and walked away, only to hear his footsteps following behind her. "Wait, where are you going? Are you from my kingdom?"

     "None of your business," she retorted.

     "Excuse me," Taehyung scoffed, having had enough with her attitude. "This is my kingdom so it's very much my business. And if someone mysteriously gets hurt on my side of the river, with aggressive reflexes and a suspicious black hood over her head, then nothing can stop me from investigating."

     Though he couldn't see her, she rolled her eyes. "Last I checked, you aren't the King of Novea, so don't act like you rule the place."

     All of Taehyung's stress was starting to pile up, from the kingdom included. And this insult was the icing on the cake. He finally snapped, grabbed her wrist, and pulled her back to face him, locking her in with his hands. The force of the pull ruffled her hood, almost allowing him to catch a glimpse of her face. Almost.

     "How dare you," he said in a low voice, "come into my kingdom, show me attitude, and try to put me in my place." His brown eyes glittered in fury. "You have no right to talk down to me when you have no idea of the responsibilities and weight I carry on my shoulders. You're just a simple citizen who could never understand that."

     This last part made the girl mad. Simple? I am anything but simple. She yanked her wrist from his hand. "You think I'm simple?" she laughed. She took a step closer and before Taehyung could realize what was happening, she pushed him. Straight into the river.

     He emerged from the waves and sputtered, as he tried to catch his breath, shocked and raging with anger.

      She smiled. "We'll see about that." And she ran towards the kingdom.

      He watched her silhouette disappear with one thought on his mind. I have to find this girl. 

 |>

|/\|

|/\*/\|

I*/\*/\*I