Chapter 3: The Spar

Clash. Clang. Taehyung ducked as he dodged his opponent's blade, whirling around with a retaliatory blow. His sparring partner, Kim Seokjin, was his cousin and one of his closest friends. They always stuck together as kids, but fought a lot, on the field and in the kingdom. Their personalities, Seokjin being more exuberant and Taehyung being more reserved, often clashed, even more than their swords. But at the end of the day, they were always there for each other.

Seokjin leaned back, the edge of Taehyung's blade grazing his armour. He lunged forward and trapped Taehyung with his blade at his neck. "C'mon Tae, that was almost too easy," he said mockingly.

Taehyung was distracted. It had been just two days since the incident with Chloe at the ball. He couldn't stop thinking about her and wondered how he could find her again. He even took the time to ask the royal staff about her, but had no luck. All he had to remember her by was the imprint of the ruby red dress she had on.

"Rematch. I'm just warming up, Jin," he responded with determination. They both walked to their positions and bowed as they began sparring again. Taehyung swung his sword forward, but Seokjin easily deflected his blow. He advanced forward, forcing Taehyung to back into the corner of the arena, putting him on the defensive. Taehyung stumbled to the ground, unable to hold off Seokin's attacks any longer. Seokjin hovered over him with his blade to his throat.

"Is this what Novea should expect from the heir to their kingdom?" asked Seokjin, teasing his almost defeated cousin.

Taehyung hurled his sword to the ground in frustration. He wasn't completely in his right frame of mind, and Seokjin's insults were not helping. "I'm just having an off-day," he said dismissively.

Seokjin grabbed Taehyung's collar and yanked him to his feet. "There's no such thing as an off-day for a future king," he said as he handed him his sword. They bowed once more, rather quickly this time, and began sparring for a third round.

Taehyung threw the first jab. "Can't anyone just let me breathe in this damn kingdom?" he yelled.

Seokjin blocked it easily. "You need to learn to control your temper if you want to make a suitable king, Tae."

"It keeps me grounded," snapped Taehyung angrily, striking Seokjin with his sword, but he continued to deflect Taehyung's blows.

"Well to me, it looks like a distraction. Just look at you. You can't even land a single point on me."

With this comment, Taehyung's anger intensified and he charged at Seokjin with all his pent up rage. Seokjin's eyes widened at Taehyung's sudden outburst and swung his sword out by instinct. It happened so quickly -- Seokjin's blade cut Taehyung just above his armour, leaving a long slash across his collarbone. Taehyung yelled in pain.

"What the hell Jin! I thought we were just practicing!" Taehyung shouted angrily.

"And I thought you were gonna kill me!" he responded, holding his hands up in defense.

Taehyung's wound started to bleed through his undershirt. He tried to stop the bleeding by putting a hand to his chest, but it was too much. Taehyung fell to his knees and Seokjin knelt beside him, trying to help with the bleeding.

"Get a nurse! Now!" Seokjin yelled out to the guards near the field. "I'm sorry man, I didn't mean to hurt you. It was all self-defense."

Taehyung shook his head lightly. "It's okay. I shouldn't have charged at you like that. You're right, my anger is too much of a distraction, and apparently, a threat too." The cousins chuckled.

The guards approached Taehyung to escort him to his royal chambers. "The nurse is on her way," one of the guards informed him, as they laid him on his bed.