Chapter 1: The Rabbit

Six Years Ago

     "Elora! Come check this out!" a pink-haired boy yelled excitedly from outside Elora's window.

     "Jimin...if this is another lizard, I am not falling for that again..." she said from the safety of her chambers.

     He pouted. "Lizards are cool! But no, it's not that."

     Elora peeked out her window, looking at Jimin curiously. "What is it? You know I'm still grounded from the last time we snuck out."

     He grinned from ear to ear. "Trust me, this time it'll be worth it." He tipped the cap on his head, which Elora now realized was a sailor's hat. She smiled tentatively back, already excited for this new adventure.

     "Okay, I'll meet you in five."

*********

     "I can't believe you found a whole boat!" Elora exclaimed, examining the wooden structure. "Whose is it?" she asked with wonder.

     "No idea, but it's ours now," he said, crossing his arms proudly. "Wanna take a ride?" he wiggled his eyebrows playfully.

     "Isn't that stealing? I don't wanna take someone's boat away without asking," she said with worry.

     Jimin rolled his eyes. "Come on. It's just a boat. Besides, you're a princess. You could get away with anything." he said. "Now, do you trust me?" he asked, reaching his hand out to her. Elora didn't have to think too long before grabbing his hand and allowing him to lead her towards the boat. "After you m'lady," Jimin grinned cheekily.

     She giggled. "You better know how to steer this thing."

     "You worry too much. Now, paddle," he commanded, handing her the oar.

     "Aye aye captain," she replied, jokingly saluting him.

     They took off, paddling across the river as fast as their twelve-year-old arms could carry them, making small talk along the way. After some time, the shore on the other side became visible.

     "Do you see that?!" Elora exclaimed, pointing at the coastline. "We're almost there!"

     "Land ho!" Jimin grinned back, waving his sailor hat in joy. They powered up their paddling and made it to the shore, hopping out onto dry land. "I can't believe it, we're actually here. In Novea!"

     Elora looked around in amazement. The fact that they were forbidden to come to the neighboring kingdom made the two friends even more excited to be here. She spotted a trail nearby and pointed, "Let's follow the trail, maybe it'll lead us somewhere."

     "Wait," he stopped her. "We gotta cover the boat first, don't wanna leave any trails behind." They quickly gathered some leaves and shrubbery to disguise it. By the time they finished, it was almost impossible to discern their little boat from the greenery.

     The two friends made their way down the trail, which opened out into a busy marketplace. "Whoa...Look at all this stuff Jiminie!!" Elora marveled at the vendors and their products. She had never seen anything like this in Kadence.

     Jimin grabbed her hand and pulled her towards a pastry booth, gesturing to the variety of French pastries. The two eyed the mouth-watering Pain au Chocolat but realized something. "El," Jimin whispered. "Our money won't work here. What should we do? I'm hungry." Elora nodded in agreement.

     Then, an old man who had just bought some goods approached them with two pastries in his hands. "You two look hungry. Eat up kids, you've got to grow big and strong to protect the kingdom one day!" he said with a warm smile on his face. Jimin and Elora grinned gratefully, thanking him before stuffing their faces with the Pain au Chocolat.