08 | Sophie

That night Sophie awoke in a cold sweat, her mind reeling from a bone-rattling nightmare.

She hadn't had a nightmare in years. As a matter of fact, she couldn't remember having even one bad dream since she'd married Keefe.

But tonight she had a nightmare of her daughter, and it made Sophie want to scream, shriek, cry out in pain and terror.

It made her want to lock Ember in her bedroom until her ears had turned pointy.

Keefe stirred beside her as her body started to tremble. He slowly opened his eyes. "Foster?" His voice was soft and gentle, tinged with worry.

He pulled himself into a seated position and scooted closer to her as she continued to quiver, taking small uneven breaths through her mouth.

Sophie hadn't even realized she crying until Keefe reached up and brushed her tears away with his soft touch, his skin warm and comforting.

"What's wrong?" He whispered, pulling her into his arms as the shudders started to take over her body.

"Nightmare," she replied quietly into his shoulder, shivering as the word left her mouth.

"About Ember?" He asked as he rubbed her back soothingly, calming her racing heart to a steady beat.

She sniffled in response.

His arms wrapped around her tighter as her tears soaked into his shirt.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, her voice thick and scared.

He pulled back from the embrace. "For what?"

"For crying," she sobbed, burying her face in her hands. "I should be stronger than this."

He gently took her hands in his and gazed into her eyes. "You're the strongest person I know," he responded softly.

Tears streaked Sophie's face, and Keefe gently wiped them away.

"Sophie?" Keefe waited for her to look up at him before he said, "Crying just means you've been strong for too long."

He sent a soft blue breeze into her mind, instantaneously calming her thoughts and easing her shaking until she stilled.

Sophie cried even harder, and Keefe's eyes clouded. "Did I make it worse?" He questioned, taking his hands away.

"No!" Sophie said quickly, taking his hands back into hers. "You made it so much better. I just . . ." She trailed off as she stared into his ice blue eyes, which were worried and scared for her.

"You just what?"

Another tear slipped down her cheek. "I-I just don't deserve you."

Keefe's hand trailed her jawline as he leaned down and kissed her gently on the lips. As he pulled back he whispered, "I'm the one who doesn't deserve you, Foster."

Sophie blinked back her tears as she rested her head back on a fluffy white pillow. "I love you, Keefe."

His voice turned unbearably sweet as he settled back down into bed. "I love you too, sweetheart."

He sent one more calming breeze through her mind as he tucked her in, securing the bedsheets around her neck.

"Good night, dear," she murmured as her eyelids fluttered shut.

"Good night, my love."