Eleven

"The Crying Game"

Jacquees.

I slowed the treadmill before stepping off as Nothing Was The Same continued to play from my headphones. Suddenly, my music stopped, signaling I had an incoming call. I unhooked the cord then looked at the screen to see Breaunna calling. I didn't want to answer, but my instincts were telling me to do so. I swiped answer then put the phone to my ear.

"Yes?" I sighed then leaned against the wall.

She took a deep breath. "Zonnique is in the hospial."

"What?" I asked in confusion. "What happened?" I grabbed my hoodie and pulled it over my head before running to my room and snatching my keys off the rack.

"I'll explain when you get hear." She said shakily.

I hung up then jumped in my Range Rover and sped out of the driveway, not even telling my parents where I was headed. So many thoughts rushed through my mind pertaining to Zonnique. Hopefully it's not life threatening to the point where I can't apologize properly to her. I slammed on my breaks and pulled into the parking entrance then paid for my ticket to place in my dashboard.

The electrical doors opened as I entered and walked straight to the elevators. I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and dialed Breaunna's number so I could see what floor and room number Zonnique was in.

"Room number and floor?" I asked once she answered.

"Third floor, room 328."

I hung up after receiving my answer. I pressed the up arrow on the elevator and waited for one to open. After a few seconds of waiting, one did. I rushed into it and slammed onto the number three.

I stood still in the middle of her door, watching her sleep. Her body was bruised and by the way her face was twisted up, I could tell she was in pain. The room was quiet and gloomy as I entered. Breaunna stood from her placement and walked over to me.

"Hey. Glad you could make it." She said.

"It's three o'clock in the morning. What's goin on?" I asked, getting straight to the point.

She sighed. "Okay. We went out to this bar and after a while of having a good time, a group of anti-homosexuals showed up. Zonnique tried to warn everyone to make it out safe and she ended up being attacked herself."

"Damn, man. What's her condition?"

"She has two bruised ribs and a stab wound in her lower abdomen. They're pretty sure she'll make it." She replied uneasily.

I shook my head and sighed. "Do you know who the people were specifically?"

"No and Niq hasn't been awake to identify them." She answered then looked over at Zonnique.

I nodded then sat down in the chair. The thought of her mother not being here ran across my mind, but I'd rather her not be here while I am. I have nothing against her mother, I just don't want to reminisce on last weeks events.

The sound of the door opening knocked me out of my thoughts. I looked up to see Chresanto walking through the door. He looked surprised when he saw me sitting in the chair. I simply nodded and he returned the gesture before walking to Zonnique's bed side. He grabbed her hand and held it for a short time.

"This has turned awkward. I'm going to go check on my friend in the waiting room." Bre said quickly then exited the room.

The room remained quiet until the nurse entered the room. She smiled at us both before attending to Zonnique. Chresanto sat in the chair beside me. We exchanged glances a few times before I decided to stir up small conversation.

"How you know Zo?" I asked and turned my body to face him.

"We grew up together." He answered nonchalantly.

"Oh." I nodded.

"She told me about y'all." He said, staring at his phone screen.

"What'd she say?" I asked.

"That--"

"Excuse me?" The nurse interrupted us.

We both looked in her direction and nodded.

"I'm nurse Rosie and I just wanted to introduce myself since I'll be Ms. Pullins caregiver for her time here." She said cheerfully with a false smile.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Rodriquez and this is..." I stopped so Chresanto could fill in the blank himself.

"Chresanto. I'm Chresanto, Miss." He sent her a wink and a flirtatious smile.

She giggled and rolled her eyes. "I'm too old for you, sir. And Rodriquez? That name sounds too familiar."

I looked into her face to see if I noticed her from anywhere and nothing registered in my mind. I shrugged at her response.

"Well, I'll be at the desk if you need anything." She said then quietly exited the room.

"Aren't you adopted?" Chresanto asked.

I smacked my lips then nodded. "Yeah, nigga. What made you ask?"

"Think that lady is your mom?"

"No. There's billions of women in the world and any one of them could be my biological mother, but as far as I'm concerned, Ion have one."

After my answer to his very off the wall question, we both sat in silence. She did somewhat have a few of my facial features, but there are seven other people in the world who look like you, so that doesn't specifically mean anything in my eyes. Since Zonnique brought up the thought of finding my biological parents, I've actually been searching for them. I haven't really found much, but Imma keep trying until I succeed.

"Where is my mom?"

Chresanto and I both looked at her in shock. She was awoke and talking clearly.

"Answer my damn question." She snapped.

Well, it's glad to see that same attitude is there.

"Damn. Can't wake up on a happy note?" Chresanto grumbled then stood from his chair and walked to retrieve her nurse.

"Hey, Que." She said quietly while playing with a strand of her hair.

"Hey. How you feel?" I asked.

"My body hurts like hell but I'm used to pain so I'm not sweating it." She replied simply.

"Yeah. But on some real, I came here to check on you while tryna see where we stand." I said then scooted my chair closer to her bed.

"Not now. Okay? Let me recover and then we can discuss that but right now..." She sighed. "Let's not."

I nodded then sat back in my chair, defeated. Damn.

________________________________________

Do you think Zonnique and Jacquees should work out their issues before or after her recovery?

Do you think the nurse, Rosie, is Jacquees's biological mother or are they just overthinking it?

How do you think Zonnique's recovery will go?