Chapter 2

They practiced the move until night fell and it was dark. The clearing was emptier than usual, since lots of animals were either sleeping or doing the night patrols. A few animals still guarded the Base, though.

Maud, Arall, and Diggs were all enjoying some prey they'd gotten off of the prey-stock. One-eye was also eating, but he lay further away, his barely-eaten rabbit at his front paws.

Maud swallowed a part of her squirrel. "Well, that was one tough training session. We've been training until it's dark and I still barely get the hang of that move!"

"I don't know. You at least came close--I can't even make that stupid turn! I'm built too sturdily! Even Quasi over there can do it!," Diggs mumbled.

One-eye looked up. Quasi, he thought sadly. Because I just needed another nickname to remind me of something I can't even help! Why, oh why, did I have to be born a hunchback?!

Arall tried to cheer up Diggs. "I'm sure you'll learn it eventually! I guess we'll have to, anyway, otherwise Arrow will...you know." She pointed hesitantly at her torn ear.

"Yeah...I suppose," Maud said. "I miss my parents. I wonder where they are right now. Are they searching for me? It feels like it's been centuries since I last saw them..."

Arall dropped her ear. "I miss mine, too."

"I...I never really had parents. They died before I was old enough to know them. I got raised by my grandparents...but I miss them, as well," Diggs stated.

One-eye sniffed and pushed away his rabbit. "I miss you, too...Mom...Laika...Dad..." he whispered faintly.

He didn't feel hungry anymore, so he got up and walked away. He just felt like he had to be alone for a while.

His ears perked up when he heard Maud almost choke on her food as she spat, "Hey, Frick, where are you going? We're supposed to stick together! Arrow will punish us all if you don't—"

One-eye didn't stop. "What does it matter...?" His voice cracked and he paced on. Just leave me be, please...

Diggs barked, frustrated. "It matters a lot! We want to keep our ears and eyes intact. Wouldn't want to end up like you!

"Oh.. .no offense, Arall. There's nothing wrong with having one ear less than the rest of us. But there is with an eye!"

"Yeah...alright," Arall said, clearly uncertain.

One-eye didn't listen and moved on. Leave...me...alone...

Maud raised her voice. "HEY! Get back here, Two Claws! Now!"

No response.

Diggs got up, snarling. "Won't listen? Maybe he'll feel!"

One-eye heard him approach with a loud growl. He was too sad and miserable to defend himself. The pale wolf-dog pushed him over, pinned him to the ground with his claws, and bit One-eye's hump.

The grey wolf yelped in pain and tried to roll over like he'd done with Maud, but she'd been small and lithe, while Diggs had strong and sturdy legs, broad shoulders, and was overall just bigger than him. It didn't work.

Diggs released One-eye and bit down into his humpback again, this time drawing blood. One-eye kept moving, however, so he got gashes of Diggs's teeth in it.

"AAH! OUCH! AARGH! THAT HURTS! HELP ME!" he begged.

Arall got up and approached Diggs. "Diggs! Don't! It's not necessary!"