Chapter 5

Silkey felt awfully embarrassed as she entered the Main Base again. She wanted to throw up because of the stench she had on her, but she knew she had to have done it. If she hadn't disguised One-eye's scent, Arrow would smell it and probably harm him.

Some other animals in the clearing looked at her, the bridges of their noses wrinkling as she passed by. One-eye better be grateful!

Her mother approached her angrily, as soon as she saw her cub. "Silkey, what on earth?" she snarled as she went and stood in front of her daughter.

Silkey sat down. "I...eh...I..."

"You what? You are covered in—"

"I know, I know, Mom! Just, let me find the nearest pool meant for cleaning and I'll get it off! I promise!"

Arrow looked utterly disgusted.

Silkey didn't mind her mother any longer and wanted to bolt off to a pool, but her mother stepped on her tail. "Ow!"

"How did that happen?"

"Just let me go and wash it off!" Silkey pleaded.

"No! I want a reason. And where have you been, young lady?"

"Eh...to the dungplace, where else?"

"You took way too long for it just to be the dungplace," Arrow said coldly.

Mom, this is so embarrassing! Please, just leave me alone! I don't want to lie!

"I just went for a little walk to get some space."

"To see the hunchback pup again, hmm? Maybe this is all just a scent-coverage!"

She brought her muzzle close to Silkey and seemed to sniff every inch of her daughter's body. She then pulled back, nose twitching. "Yuck! You sure are good at playing these games."

She's onto me. Well, if it is so, so be it. She has no proof of me having gone to One-eye. None. I hope.

Arrow put her paw on her forehead in despair. "You are pointless. Just...go clean yourself. Please. Now."

Silkey nodded as she padded in the direction of the nearest pool.

***

The weeks went by, and the weeks became months. The snow started to melt bit by bit and the first signs of spring started to show though slowly. One-eye and Silkey did keep meeting up at their tree occasionally when it was safe, with Brad covering their tracks, but they did see one another less.

Silkey went through a lot of harsh training by Arrow, and, while her father did seem to try to hold back her mother when he could, he too often could not.

One-eye also grew up slowly but surely. Training became harder and harder each time, and he also had to start relying on his own techniques and a mixture of what his friend and trainers had taught him. Now that he and Silkey hardly met, they spent their time talking rather than practice fighting.

However, it was now a beautiful day. There was a small drizzle, but that was not unpleasant at all. The grass was showing from between the snow at some places already and the trees were starting to grow their first leaves again.

One-eye and Silkey were at their tree, hanging around near the trunk. Brad was there, too.

Silkey made an exaggerated gesture. "Arrow made me leap this high!" she stated.

One-eye raised his eyebrow. "That high?"

"High as a tree! No, a mountain!"

Brad rolled his eyes. "It's about time she takes it easy with you. You're way too young to be trained like this! Both of you, actually! I'll just have you know I do not agree with this whole 'kidnap Lone One pups and force them to kill their own kind' plan. Because I don't."