Chapter 9

Due to the absence of Jiwoo and Sooyoung, and Chaewon and Hyejoo's misadventures with the demons school work hadn't gotten done much of all. Being incredibly behind meant they had to work on it for an entire day, which rendered all completely exhausted by the end of it. 

They all collectively flopped down on the beds in Hyejoo's room with a plan to talk and hang out before they went to bed, but all were to drained to say anything. Sooyoung laid her head against the wall and Jiwoo laid in her lap, instantly falling asleep. Chaewon just sprawled out on Hyejoo's bed, and Hyejoo just dropped to the floor. "Hye, get off the floor," Chaewon said in a disapproving tone. "I don't have any energy to make it to the bed, gimme a pillow, would ya?" "Dramatic much?" "So what, if I wanna lay on the floor and complain about how much my brain aches, today made demon-hunting feel easy."

"At least being torn limb from limb is exiting." "And a lot less painful." "Damn straight." "Ew, straight," Jiwoo mumbled. "We get it, Jiwoo, you're gay, you say it like you're in a room full of heteros," Chaewon said, "Wait, are we all lesbian? What are the odds?" "For the record, I'm bisexual." Sooyoung chimed in, "How can you like men? They're kind of ugly, to be honest." Jiwoo said, "We're all entitled to our own opinions, Jiwoo." Sooyoung said, with a laugh. 

"Hyejoo, you good down there?" Chaewon asked, confused at the lack of complaining or dramatic groaning in supposed 'agony'. "Eh, not really, my back hurts." "Maybe you should get off the floor then?" "Oh fine..." She grumbled, peeling herself from the floor, and laying on the bed with Chaewon. "Feel better?" Chaewon sat up, giving Hyejoo more room to lay. "Who's parents know about the gay thing?" Jiwoo asked the group. "Mine know, and they're fine with it," Sooyoung said, "Mine don't know, but I grew up watching RuPaul's Drag Race, so they wouldn't care, I don't think," Chaewon answered, ensuing a long silence.

"Hyejoo, what about you?" Jiwoo asked innocently. "I think they're dead, but knowing my luck they probably wouldn't like it, as for my foster parents I stayed with for the longest, they probably would have been okay. They didn't love me, but they wouldn't care about the homo thing." Hyejoo said smiling, "W-what?" Jiwoo asked, "You think they're dead?" "I just say they're dead it's easier than saying they left me, plus people usually ask fewer questions that way." 

"Oh... I'm sorry." "Don't be, I don't need a family, I was raised by the demons." "That explains a lot," Sooyoung said with a laugh. "Sooyoung, don't say that," Chaewon said disapprovingly again, glaring Sooyoung's way. "Nah, it's fine, don't worry about it," Hyejoo said, over Chaewon, wrapping her arms around the smaller girl's thigh and snuggling it. 

"What are you doing?" "I can't be comfortable unless I hold something, you know that. I can finally sleep now because I a small warm person to snuggle." "That's cute and all, but you know when you do that you're toasting me alive, right? If I wake up with a Hyejoo-shaped sweat mark on my back again I'm gonna be angry." "Wait, Chaewon, they're asleep," Hyejoo said in reference to Jiwoo and Sooyoung laying in the next bed over fast asleep. "Don't worry I'll wake them up," "It's fine, they can sleep there, I don't have a problem with it."

"But if you were planning to get up, you can turn the light off." "Alright." Chaewon pulled her leg from Hyejoo's grasp and quickly turned the light off, hurrying back to bed with Hyejoo, snuggling up to her. They all felt safer together, even if it wasn't true. Safety in numbers? 

But by the time they all woke up, it was freezing, which was strange because it was nearly spring. "Why is it so fucking cold?" Sooyoung grumbled, pulling Jiwoo closer and trying to keep her warm as well. She soon realized that they were in fact in Hyejoo's room, as Hyejoo and Chaewon laid together in their bed.

Hyejoo's eyes were fluttering open, and Sooyoung watched her scan the room before they met eyes. "Thank you." She mumbled, a very faint smile gracing her face. "What?" "Thank you." "Why are you thanking me?" "Without you, I wouldn't have been there when Chaewon got better. Thank you." "Oh... Hyejoo, don't thank me for that." She said a bit shocked that Hyejoo would even mention it. "Alright, I said it, can I go back to hating you now?" "Of course you can, but deep down I'll always know you like me." Sooyoung teased, "Shut up," 

"Oh whatever, you're soft and you know it." Hyejoo made some sound of disgust before rolling over and hugging Chaewon tighter. "Hyejoo, do you wanna do something?" "Like, together?" "Yeah, I barely even know who you are, I never really gave you a chance." "Oh, okay. Sure, I guess. You wanna get breakfast?" "Yeah." Hyejoo slowly detached herself from Chaewon, making sure she was still sleeping soundly and watched Sooyoung do the same. 

Hyejoo pulled her arms out of the sleeves of her sweater and put them in her shirt, shivering slightly. "Why is it so cold?" She asked, not resisting Sooyoung's arm that wrapped around her shoulder. "I don't know, weird, it's almost summer." Sooyoung moved to open the door, pulling her hand back when she touched the knob. "It-it's frozen." "What?" Hyejoo asked putting her arms back in her sleeves and touching the knob having a similar reaction.

"What the fuck?" Hyejoo exclaimed, as Sooyoung grabbed the knob through her sleeve and opened the door. But immediately seeing the pale demented version of Hyejoo sitting in an uncomfortable position on the floor. Sooyoung gasped stepping back, "Don't acknowledge her." Hyejoo whispered, but was also too scared to move, and tried not to react when the thing crawled toward her, leaving a trail of blood on the floor. "I think these belong to you." It said, reaching out its hands toward Hyejoo, she was confused at first then looked closer, seeing the two severed eyes in her palms. Then it all made sense. That's what Chaewon warned her of.

"U-uh Hyejoo, you're bleeding," Sooyoung said, grabbing Hyejoo's chin to get a better look, but soon seeing the empty blank eye sockets that leaked dark blood from them. "O-oh god..." She said, covering her face, "What's wrong, Sooyoung?" Hyejoo asked, completely oblivious. 

"A matter of time before you're all mine," The thing said with a smirk, the sharp thin teeth looking very unnerving as its lips curled upwards. "You want them back, don't you?"  "What? "Your eyes, Hyejoo, or do you want everyone to be horrified of your face forever? Chaewon will never love you when you have no eyes." "My eyes are here..." She said bringing her hands up to her face, feeling the warm sticky blood covering it and the two empty holes where her eyes were. This scared her a bit, her vision was fine, this had to be a trick. She ran to the bathroom stepping over the creature and confirming her fears. 

This felt like a dream where she couldn't scream, she felt the cold sweat, and pound in her heart, but any noise was just caught in her throat. She washed the blood from her face in the sink and was relieved seeing her eyes back in place, but her heart dropped again when the thing clutched her from behind. She felt instantly unable to fight off the creature, as the back of her clothes were coated in the sticky blood. "You said you wanted breakfast," It held Hyejoo's head in place and brought its face close to the side of her face. She felt the creature's warm breath on her cheek and it sent shivers down her spine, "I want breakfast too." It said as it bit down, and ripped off a chunk of her ear lobe in its teeth, before shrinking away into the shadows. 

Hyejoo barely even felt the immense pain in her ear, she felt light-headed, and just wobbled over to Sooyoung who witnessed everything. Her eyes were wide, and she met Hyejoo with many questions dealing with her well-being but Hyejoo didn't listen to them. "Y-your ear! We- we gotta do something!" "Shhh, you're gonna wake up Chaewon." "What? You're worried about that? What the fuck, Hyejoo!" 

"It's a very minor injury, don't worry about me. But fuck breakfast, I'm going back to sleep, sorry Sooyoung." Hyejoo said, her voice slightly slurred as she stumbled toward their room again, leaving Sooyoung shocked. "I- you- what? What did that thing do to you?" Hyejoo walked in the open door and sat down on the bed next to Chaewon. "G'morning, princess," She greeted, stroking the blonde hair through her fingers. "Hye, what happened to your ear?" Chaewon said in a bit of a panic. "I assure you, my ear is the least of our concerns."