Rookie Historian Goo Hae-ryung

HANGUL: 신입사관 구해령

GENRE:
Historical
Romance
Drama
Comedy

STARRING:
Shin Se-kyung
Cha Eun-woo

NO. OF EPISODES: 40

~~SYPNOSIS~~

In the Joseon Dynasty, where women are objectified and underestimated, free-spirited noble lady Goo Hae-ryung is brave enough to break the status quo. Still single at 26 years old, she focuses on studying and gaining knowledge, something only men should be doing, and in defending those who are wronged and abused.

Meanwhile, the young and handsome 20-year-old Prince Yi Rim has been living his life alone in his chamber, the Nokseodang, away from the politics of the royal court. Despite this, he has found comfort and happiness through writing. Hiding his identity under his pen name "Maehwa", he had been writing romance novels that became famous all over Hanyang, especially to women readers.

There is only one person in the capital, though, who finds his works distasteful: Hae-ryung, who is not fond of the romance genre. Their first meeting sparks a war of preferences between the two. As Yi Rim criticizes Hae-ryung for her lack of taste in literature, Hae-ryung chides the prince-in-disguise for his informal speech.

One day, for the first time in the history of Joseon, the royal court demands that women be included among the court historians who compile the Veritable Records of the Joseon Dynasty. Hae-ryung passes the search for historian apprentices and, along with her three fellow rookies, fight gender stereotypes as their work and position is often looked down on by their male counterparts and by most of the officers in the royal court.

Gradually, Prince Yi Rim's annoyance turns into love for Hae-ryung who became the historian-in-charge for Nokseodang. Hae-ryung seems to find herself reciprocating the prince's advances. What lies ahead of Hae-ryung and Yi Rim is a risky adventure of finding true love and of fighting for what is right. Together, and with the help of Hae-ryung's fellow historians and the revolutionaries lurking in and outside of the palace, Hae-ryung and Yi Rim must struggle in a society steeped in censorship of the arts, of knowledge and creed, and must solve the mystery behind such oppression, the answer of which could be linked to their own pasts.

~~CTTO~~