Chapter 8: Shift

Only a couple more days until I turn twenty. I both excited and afraid for how my life is going to change. I've learned to accept my scars, learned that there just telling my story, what I went through. Maybe I could tell my kids one day about it, how my alpha saved me.
Speaking of the alpha. Bryce has been ultra secretive on what he's getting for me for my birthday. I keep asking him, hoping he'll cave, but he never does.
Today, I decide to talk to the pack members while Bryce works on pack stuff. I haven't really talked to them, and I want to know them if I'm going to be living with them.
The kids are my favorite. Especially little Kenzie. She seems to be attached to my hip, determined to introduce me to everyone.
I'm talking to one of the girls my age, when I feel arms wrap around my waist from behind. "Come on, I want to take a nap," Bryce tells me. "Go take a nap by yourself, I'm talking," I tell him. "But, Ky, I want you to take a nap with me," he pouts, sounding like a little kid. "When did you turn my nephew back into a little kid?" Someone asks from the right of me. I turn and see a woman walk over to us. She looked in her mid-forties. "Hi, I'm Karol, thins knucklehead's aunt. I'm his mother's older sister," she tells me. "Aunt Karol, this is my girlfriend and mate, Kylie," Bryce introduces. The girl I was talking to, gasps, "you're his mate? I'm sorry, Luna, I didn't know." I roll my eyes, "so what? Treat me as if I weren't, just like you were before you knew. And please, call me Kylie." "Well, it's nice to see this boy happy again. He wasn't the same after his parents died, and you brought his old self back. I thank you for that," Karol says. I shrug, "I didn't do much." "But that's where you're wrong, dear, you did so much," she tells me. "And I'm sure that Marie and Alex would have loved you." I smile, "thanks, that means a lot." And it did. To be accepted by his family meant so much to me.
"Great, now that introductions were made, Kylie, I want to take a nap," he tells me. I roll my eyes, "guess I'm going to take a nap." His aunt chuckles, "good luck."
He drags me back upstairs and shuts the door behind us, before hopping on to the bed. "You're a lazy butt. I'm going to take a shower," I tell him.
I go into the bathroom and shut the door, then turn on the water and get in. The hot water felt so good on my skin. I washed my hair, shaved, and got out. I get dressed, then dry my hair, then put on lotion. Mhm, Japanese Cherry Blossom is my favorite smelling lotion.
I turn the light off and the crawl into bed next to Bryce, who's asleep. I turn my back to him and close my eyes. I feel his arm wrap around me and bring me closer to him, it only made me feel good when I realize that he did it subconsciously. I close my eyes again, and fall asleep happily in my mate's arms.

******
I wake up to searing pain running through my body. It felt as if every part of me was on fire. I grasp Bryce's hand and gasp, "Bryce, h-help." He wakes up as if he wasn't even asleep, "crap, you're shifting earlier than I thought." He lifts me up and sets me on the floor, "you'll break the bed if I left you on there, sorry." I shake my head and clench my jaw and squeeze my eyes shut. "Bryce," I cry out. He kneels next to me, rubbing my head, "it'll be over soon. I know it hurts, I'm sorry, love." I hear the sound of bone cracking and grinding against each other, moving into place. Finally, it stops, and I look down at my hands-paws.
I look up at Bryce, who's smiling proudly at me, "you're beautiful." 'Hi, Kylie. I'm your wolf, Jade. We can talk now. I'm sorry that the first shift is so painful, and I wish it weren't. Now, to shift back, think of yourself in human form, and then you'll change.' I do as she says and think of myself in human form. I hear the bones crack again, but this time it's faster and less painful, and I'm back as myself again.
Bryce throws a blanket over me, and I ask, "what's this for?" "I doubt you want to get up naked, so..." He says. "Oh," is all I reply, my cheeks getting hot in embarrassment. I wrap it around me and run into the closet and put on clothes.
After I come back out, Bryce is sitting on the bed, watching me. I smile and sit next to him, but he pulls me on to his lap, placing a kiss on the side of my head. "You should probably go look in the mirror," he tells me. I give him a questioning look and then walking into the bathroom. No way. My scars are gone! In fact it looks as if they weren't even there at all. "I can't believe this," I whisper. Bryce walks in and leans on the door frame, "I love you either way." "But, they're gone, Bryce. It's like they never existed," I tell him. He smiles a little, "aren't you happy about it?" I shrug and examine my face and arms, "I don't know. There was good and bad memories with them." "See, told you you'd think that one time or another," he stays proudly. I smile, "you're right."
I can't believe it, my scars are gone, and I look like I did before all of this. And all of this, this is all thanks to Bryce. Because he saved me, the alpha saved me.