10

Leigh cut the engine, leaning back in her seat for a few moments as she assessed the parking lot. 

She was early. 

People were milling around, leaning against car hoods and chatting, or tossing a football around. She didn't like being early - it usually meant she had to mingle and socialise, which wasn't the easiest thing for her in the morning. 

A tap on her window sent her heart flying up into her throat. 

"Morning, new kid!" 

She scowled at Emmett through the window, unbuckling her seatbelt and grabbing her bag before opening the door, whacking him in the leg. 

"Ow!" he yelped, staring at her in disbelief as she got out the car. 

"Morning to you, too," she grumbled. "Do you even know my name?" 

He raised his eyebrows. "You're aggressive in the morning." 

She shrugged, smirking. "Do you?" 

He paused for a moment, brow crumpling in thought. "Lily?" 

She sighed. "I figured as much." 

"Wait! Lana?" 

"You're right with the first letter," she said, unable to withhold her bewildered laugh. 

"Is my brother bothering you?"

Leigh looked up at the unfamiliar voice. The small girl - the one that looked like a pixie - stood on the other side of the Jeep, an amused smile on her face. 

"Yes," Leigh chuckled, making sure to show fondness in her expression so he'd know she wasn't serious.  

"Emmett, will you stop harassing her please?" she said, staring pointedly at him. 

He held his hands up in surrender. "Alright, damn." 

Alice skipped around the back of the car, skidding to a halt in front of Leigh. The blonde watched her in slight fatigue; the sheer amount of energy she had was exhausting. 

"I'm Alice, by the way," she said, extending her hand for Leigh to shake. 

As soon as their skin touched, Leigh flinched. 

Alice's skin was freezing. Just like Bella had said. 

"Nice car," the dark-haired girl said, gesturing to the Honda. 

"Ah," Leigh said, fondly patting the roof. "She's an old girl, but I love her." 

"Old? It looks ancient." 

Leigh swivelled back in Emmett's direction, eyes icy. "You don't talk shit about Tammy." 

He laughed - a deep, booming sound that Leigh would have enjoyed if he hadn't just attacked her car. "It's just a car." 

Leigh reared up, temper flaring, but Alice interrupted. 

"My sister likes cars, too," she piped up, attempting to regain Leigh's attention. "Rosalie." 

Leigh's eyes returned to Alice. "She does?" 

"Oh, yeah," Alice said. "She likes to fix them, too. She keeps all our cars up and running, saves us the fees for a mechanic." 

Leigh snorted. "You've got three cars between you." 

"Which is exactly the reason we need to save money on mechanics," Alice countered, grinning. 

The blonde smiled. Alice seemed to have far too much pep for half-eight in the morning, but she was nice. Much more approachable than Emmett or Rosalie.