16

The house somehow looked bigger the second time Leigh visited. 

The dimming, evening light enlarged its shadows and blurred its angles, turning into one large hunk of timber and glass. It somehow looked inviting, though - buttery light pouring from the windows and pooling on the driveway. 

Leigh hopped out of the car, shutting Tammy's door with gentle affection as the Cullens exited their respective cars. Driving behind them had been an absolute nightmare; she hadn't known the way, as Rosalie had driven her last time and gone far too fast for her to register the route. They all had some kind of adrenaline craving, as they drove through the tiny, winding lanes at a blinding speed, having to pull over when they got too far ahead for Leigh to catch up. She wasn't going to break any laws, even if they did. 

"You need a new car," Emmett said, popping up on Leigh's left. 

She startled. "Would you stop that? I go into cardiac arrest every time and my little heart can't take it." 

He frowned. "Stop what?" 

"Just appearing from nowhere, with no warning," she huffed, stuffing her phone and keys in her pocket. 

"Oh, sorry," he said, waving his hand in dismissal. "Sometimes I forget to act human around you." 

She scoffed, before frowning. "And why are you still hating on my car?" 

"Because it's shit." 

"You take that back!" 

"I'm surprised it's still running, honestly." 

She lifted her hand to smack his arm, but then remembered he was literally made of marble, dropping it again with a glower. He sent her a grin, before moving toward the house. 

Alice's arm slid through Leigh's, once again making her jump, and the brunette began to lead her in the direction the rest of her siblings were moving. They were taking the real front door, this time, as opposed to going through the garage. 

"I'm glad you and Rose made up," Alice said, quietly but still with a spark of excitement. 

Leigh cleared her throat, a little uneasy. "Uh, yeah, me too." 

"Esme has been missing you," she said. 

Leigh's face faltered on its way to a frown, lingering in a half-smile. "That's sweet of her."

Alice opened the door for her, ushering her through into another blindingly white hallway. There were pictures and paintings on the walls, though, as well as antiquities on the surfaces and a few more bits and bobs that made it seem a little more homely. The whole place smelt strongly of honey and jasmine, but Leigh soon realised that wasn't the house, it was the inhabitants. 

"Leigh!" Esme sang as they entered the living room, clapping her hands. "Oh, it's so good to see you again!" 

Leigh couldn't help but smile at the beaming woman, accepting the hug she offered. "You too, Esme."

"How have you been?" she asked. 

Leigh blinked a few times, nodding. "Uh, yeah, fine. You?" 

"Very well, thank you." 

Jasper and Edward disappeared almost immediately, apparently not finding Leigh very interesting, but the others settled themselves in various positions around the room. Leigh didn't pay them very much attention, apart from one. Rosalie removed her jacket, before slipping her hands into her pockets and standing by the window. Leigh felt as if she'd been punched in the gut just looking at her - she was truly devastating.