1

I stared at my reflection in disapproval, scolding my hair as I tried to tame the light brown strands. My chocolate eyes looked equally horrendous; dark circles weighing down the skin and making me look like a walking corpse. I needed to hurry and make myself presentable, but lack of sleep was catching up to me and it was hard to build up the strength to move.

I sprayed some cologne on and yawned, calling it good enough. My father and brother were waiting for me to join the meeting. It was a very important meeting, one that discussed the future of my father's business. An heir would be selected and the business, along with my father's wealth, would go to whoever is picked.

I straightened my tie and hurried down the stairs, saying farewell to the maids who were busying themselves in the halls. They nodded their heads in greeting as I rushed by them and exited the house. My driver was waiting for me in the limo, hair slicked back to perfection and dressed in a smart suit.

"Good morning, sir. Your father is waiting for you," David informed me as I got in the back of the limo. A plate of food and a glass of water was waiting for me, along with a breath mint.

"How late am I running?" I asked worryingly.

"Fifteen minutes, sir."

"Shit."

I began eating my food as David drove us to the building. As expected, a crowd of journalists were at the front entrance so David drive to the back of the building and opened my door for me once he parked it.

"Thanks," I muttered, climbing out of the limo with a breath mint in my mouth.

"Do you wish for me to wait here, sir?" David asked, body composed professionally.

I nodded, heading towards the back door. "Call my father and inform him that I'm on my way," I ordered right before I closed the door behind me. I trusted David to do as I asked; he has been my butler my entire life, and never once disobeyed. He was as loyal as they came.

I had to take the stairs to the fifth floor and by the time I arrived, I was out of breath. I took a calming breath as I neared the door that housed the meeting on the other side. Muffled voices could scarcely be heard, but I immediately recognized my father's.

I opened the door with an apologetic smile, closing it behind me. "Sorry for being late. I ran into some...difficulties," I explained, meeting all twelve members' gazes.

"It's alright, son. Go ahead and take a seat," my father said, gesturing towards the empty away beside my brother. I nodded and obeyed, my palms growing sweaty with everyone's eyes on me. I didn't like meetings, especially when they included such important people. It made me afraid to mess up, and that fear in itself made me anxious.

The meeting continued with no mistakes. We discussed the company's current state and sale rates, and then everyone agreed on a new product. By the time it had finished, it had been three hours and my half empty stomach was begging for some food.

"I should be leaving," I said, grabbing the notes my father had made me write down. The notes consisted of the decisions we had come to an agreement on, and ideas the members of the meeting had to improve our products.

"I'll see you tonight for dinner," my father said, grinning. I smiled back, knowing he meant it. My father was a very busy man, but he always made time in his schedule to spend time with me and my brother. Ever since our mother passed away from cancer when we were children, he did everything he could to make our lives full of good memories. He was a great dad.

"I'll go with you!" my brother said, grabbing his coat and knitted scarf. We exited the meeting room and walked down the halls, this time taking the elevator since we had been told that the press had left.