Chapter 1

There he stood in front of the newly renovated bookstore with his head held low. He didn’t realize how much time had passed by as he debated whether to go inside or not. His grip started loosening on the flower bouquet in his hand as he slowly backed away from the door. Through the glass window, he saw her smiling at the young man who managed to survive after the surgery was a success. He had been longing to see her smile for a while. Her smile was the only thing that could make him forget all his deepest fears, but nothing could cure his broken heart at that moment. Soo-Hyuk already knew he had to carry the weight of responsibilities after what happened, but who knew that the weight of loneliness would be more difficult to carry even after fulfilling every single responsibility that he had.

Sighing, he started walking ahead, still carrying the bouquet with him without registering the presence of anyone else passing by.

“Excuse me. You’re Prosecutor Kim Soo-Hyuk, right??” A voice he found familiar made him stop and turn in its direction. He recognized the face when he finally looked at the person in front of him.

“It’s Attorney Kim Soo-Hyuk now. You must be Jung Sabin’s colleague if I remember correctly,” Soo-Hyuk replied in a humble but straight-forward way.

“Of course, only you have the ability to reply like that. By the way, I have a name and it’s Jae Yi and I’m Sabin’s friend. You were nice enough to acknowledge me as her friend the last time we met,” Jae Yi replied while trying her best not to get annoyed at Soo-Hyuk’s last comment.

“I remember. You’re the 3D graphic designer, right? I will get going then.”

“Wait! You’re going in the wrong direction. Sabin’s bookstore is this way,” Jae Yi said while pointing in the direction of the bookstore.

“I know. I will visit some other day.”

“Judging by the flowers, you must be here to see her. Why are you not visiting then? Sabin will be happy to see you.”

“I saw her just now and she was already happy. I don’t think I will be of any help, especially on her first day.”

“But we’re here today and she is also happy having us all. Even the stalker came! Why don’t you join too??”

“Chun Jongbum is not a stalker anymore Miss Jae Yi,” Soo-Hyuk said with a sad smile. “And she won’t be happy having me over.”

“I know he’s not. I just address him like this from the start that’s why it slips unintentionally at times. But… hasn’t everything resolved between you and Sabin yet?” Jae Yi asked, being concerned for the first time during the conversation.

“Everything is fine. I will just visit another day.”

“What about the flowers then?”

“Oh. You can give them to Sabin,” Soo-Hyuk said while handing the bouquet over to Jae Yi.

“O-Okay? I guess I’ll have to be an errand-runner today,” Jae Yi faked a sad tone.

“Don’t tell her I sent her these.”

“But why?” Even though Jae Yi somehow knew the reason, she couldn’t help getting startled.

“No specific reason. Just do me this favor.”

“What will I say then? Do you even think Sabin won’t notice?”

“I’m sure you will come up with a reason to convince her.”

“Alright. I will be your backup for today,” Jae Yi said with a salute.

“See you next time,” Soo-Hyuk bowed slightly and walked away.