Thalia's Help

"I don't think a therapist will be able to solve this," Annabeth grumbled to Thalia.

     Thalia rolled her eyes. "Maybe not, but it cannot hurt. Can it?"

    "Yes," Annabeth said as she followed her friend into the student health center. "I could be paying for the end of my relationship."

     They got in the elevator and Thalia slapped her on the back. "I'm sure your therapist will have something to say about that,"

     Annabeth pressed the button to go to the eighth floor. When they arrived, Thalia gave her friend a quick hug and left Annabeth to go to the office. After talking with the receptionist, a perky brunette named Aglaea, she filled out paperwork.

     She had just finished when Percy arrived. "You're late, Seaweed Brain."

     Percy gave her his crooked smile and went over to Aglaea. "Sorry, Wise Girl. I was helping my brother, Tyson."

    Annabeth exhaled as he sat down and began filling out his paperwork. Why did he have to be so infuriating? He was dumb and annoying and stupid, but he was also the kindest demon she had ever met.

     "Annabeth Chase," a voice said. "Perseus Jackson."

    Annabeth looked up to see a stunningly beautiful woman. She was wearing simple clothes — a pink button-down and a black pencil skirt, but she looked like a movie star with her flawless makeup and bouncy waves. Her hair was brown and Annabeth felt envy stir up in her chest. As a blonde, she always felt like she had to try harder to be taken seriously.

    "I prefer the name Percy," Percy said as he stood up, handing the forms to Aglaea.

     The brunette in front of them smiled. "Of course, Percy," she said. "Come this way. My name is Aphrodite Beauregard. I'll be your therapist."

***

    Aphrodite Beauregard's room was surprisingly cozy. Annabeth didn't know what she had been expecting, but it wasn't this. A creamy-colored candle was burning, filling the air with the scent of vanilla. A large photograph of two albatrosses cuddling hung above a pink loveseat. The room was filled with flowers: roses and myrtle.

      Annabeth and Percy sat together on the loveseat. There was little room, but they avoided physical contact. Aphrodite had seared herself on a black, wheeled chair and was holding up a clipboard. "Since today is your first session, I'd like you both to fill me in on what you wish to address. Don't mind my pen; I'm just taking notes."

    Annabeth swallowed. "I feel — I feel like our relationship is more a fling then anything else."

     Aphrodite nodded. "And you, Percy?"

     Percy licked his lips. "Annabeth told me I drool in my sleep."

    Annabeth glared at him. "Really, that's what you're bringing up? You're not going to mention how you lied to me?"

     Percy threw his hands into the air. "This is important!"

    "No," Annabeth said. "It's not."

    "Annabeth," Aphrodite said. "It may not be important to you, but it obviously is to Percy."

     "She said that after the first time we were intimate together," Percy said. "It made me wonder if she saw me as some disgusting slob."

    "I don't, Percy," Annabeth said, "but I — I wish you'd be more honest with me, so that I can trust you."

    Percy nodded. He wet his lips and looked up at Aphrodite. "What's said in this room stays in this room, right?"

    She nodded. "Unless I have a legitimate reason to believe you are a threat to yourself or others or it's abuse, then I will keep your confidentiality."

     "Annabeth," Percy said. "I have a confession to make. I was told to come didn't here to yes, challenge you, but now I wonder if that's what I want. You see, I have to complete this task to earn my immortality."

   Annabeth bowed her head. She had been right. This was just a fling.