Chapter 3- Friend

Arriving at the school, your stomach fills with butterflies and you look over at your mom. She offers you one of her warm, kind smiles and puts a hand on your shoulder.

"I can tell you're a bit nervous but It'll be alright ok?" She leaned over and gave you a kiss on the cheek.

"I know, it's just more good old school in a different building right?" You answered, managing to give her a smile of your own.

She smiled wider at your reply.

"Mhm, that's my brave, smart girl. That's a great way to think of it. Remember, if something seems bad, try to think of it differently." Your mom took her hand back as she lightly gestured for you to go on. You giggled a little, she always told you that last line. You reached over to open the car door.

"Of course mom, I always try. Thank you so much, I love you." You said as you stepped out of the car, not closing the door quite yet.

"I love you too! Now have a good day at school!" She gleefully cheered for you, even clapping her hands a little.

You nodded and closed the door, directing your attention to the large building in front of you.

Taking a deep breath, you start to walk towards the door that you noticed all the other students were going through.

Upon entering, you were greeted with a pretty decent sized hall entrance. It was definitely bigger then your old school. You looked over to the left where the hall turned into the cafeteria. Plenty of students were seated and eating their breakfast, chatting amongst each other.

Thinking you'd been standing there long enough, you walked towards the cafeteria. You take in a deep breath and smell that whatever they were serving for breakfast actually smelled pretty good. Naturally, your nose lead you into the line to get said breakfast so in order to avoid feeling awkward just standing in line, you copy your fellow students and pull out your phone.

What did you do on the phone?

You just wanted to look busy so you clicked and swiped whatever.

When you finally got towards the front of the line, the lunch ladies (or would they be called breakfast ladies right now?) happily handed you your breakfast.

"Thank you!" Thanks to your manners taught by you by your mom, you automatically said thanks. The lady who gave you your food quickly looked up at you.

"Oh--
You're very welcome dear, have a good day!" The smile she gave you was so genuine and happy, you quickly returned the enthusiasm in your own smile back before you continued on.

"You too!" You said back as you scooted on down the line with your food. You'd done it! You managed to make someone happy and a smile stayed on your face as you went to sit down in an empty seat you found off to the side.

You bet your mom would be so proud of you and that only served to make you even happier inside. You just hoped the rest of the day would go by smoothly like this.

"Hey, is this seat taken?"

You looked up when a rather small voice spoke to you.

A girl with black and blue hair (highlights) was standing in front of you. She looked pretty nervous.

You pointed to the empty seat in front of you that she was currently standing behind.

"This seat? Nah, you can go ahead and take it." You responded, the smile still on your face offering her only friendliness.

She gave you a small smile and sat down, setting her food in front of her and her backpack to the side.

"Oh thank you, I-I'm new here....how about you?" She asked, fiddling with her hands as she looked down.

Honestly, were you as nervous as she looked but on the inside. Your mom always told you that when you were nervous or scared, just act like you're comfortable and eventually, you really will be.

She was cool like that.

"Actually, this is my first day here too. My name is (Y/N) though, maybe we can make it through this together?" You extend a hand in friendship. Two is better then one, plus, she seemed like a sweet girl.

"Oh right, how r-rude of me. My name is Akari. And getting through the day together sounds nice." She shook your hand that you offered her, her smile getting just a bit bigger as she looked back down, eating her food. You did the same.

~~~~~~~~Ah yes, a time skip~~~~~~~~

You waved to Akari was you ran over to your mom's car. She waved back happily before turning to start walking home. During the day you learned she walked to and from school. She didn't live far from it.

"So, how was school today?" Your mom asked you kindly, petting your head lightly as she go ready to pull out if the parking space she was in.

"It was actually really good mom! I think I even made a friend." You said, the joy from how well today went filling your body.

"That's good (Y/N), very good. What's your new friends name?" She took her hand off your head to drive, smiling almost as much as you were, thankful that you had a good day.

"Her name's Akari. She's the one with black and blue hair and glasses."
You pointed at her through the window so your mom could see real quick.
"She actually has a very slight stutter but she's very smart. She has a hamster named Greg, and a bird named sparkles, and she lives close to the school and-" You just continued to ramble on to your mom all that you had learned about Akari all the way home.

Your mother listened to you intently as she drove, her smile and joy growing the more you talked and talked. She loved seeing you happy and she only hoped that it would stay like this. At least a little while longer.

She loved you so much after all. Her precious and kind daughter.

(Y/N) please don't ever change.

"Honey, you know what? Why don't you invite Akari over some time? Those friendly monsters we met earlier are coming over tomorrow so why not ask her over too?" Your mom offered to you once she pulled up into the driveway.

You stopped whatever you were in the middle of saying and looked over at her with the biggest eyes and smile you could make. Could this day have gone any better?!

"Oh my gosh, really?!!" You asked, just to make sure she was serious.

"Of course I'm serious." You're mom laughed a little upon seeing your reaction.

"Omg omg thank you!!" You say as you leaned over to hug her tightly, kissing her on the cheek as you then quickly got out of the car, running inside.

"I'll go ahead and make sure the house is clean!" You called back out to her before you quickly went inside.

Your mom just laughed some more and got out of the car, watching the way you went for a little as she stood there by herself for a moment.

"Yes....please don't ever change."