54 : Breaking News

5th August 2019

BREAKING NEWS: HUNDREDS DEAD IN HORROR PLANE CRASH

First posted 03/08/19. This is an ongoing story.

03/08/19

13:31

This morning, the UK suffered what is expected to be one of its deadliest aviation disaster when SA Flight 1619 experienced total engine failure shortly after taking off from Glasgow Airport.

The plane, travelling from Glasgow to New York's JFK airport, was carrying 341 passengers and 12 crew members when it ran into difficulties within ten minutes of take-off. The black box has yet to be located but in mayday calls received by air traffic control, it is believed that the cockpit lost control upon running into trouble with both engines on the right wing, shortly followed by a loss of both of the left wing's engines.

Twenty-three minutes after take-off, the plane lost altitude and crashed into the village of Anchor Lake, sixty miles southwest of Inverness. Eye-witness accounts report the plane dropping from the sky, and it is believed the pilot was attempting to land in the 5km-long loch when the wing clipped a row of houses close to the shore.

There were multiple fatalities on the ground and it is currently believed that there are no survivors amongst the 353 souls on board.

This is a developing story.

-

03/08/19

14:23

At least 25 people on the ground have been hospitalised in the aftermath of the crash. It is believed that a total of 18 people on the ground were killed when the plane crashed in Anchor Lake. Emergency services are on the scene, where the plane exploded as it hit the water. It is still unknown if there are any survivors.

The cause of the engine failure remains unclear. The plane arrived safely from New York early this morning and weather conditions were stable upon take-off, after ground teams refuelled and determined the plane fit to make the return journey across the Atlantic.

-

03/08/19

16:04

BREAKING: There are unconfirmee reports of possible survivors of SA Flight 1619. Rescue teams continue to search the submerged wreckage. It is unlikely that there will be any more survivors, several hours after the plane hit the water.

-

03/08/19

18:35

CONFIRMED: SOLE SURVIVOR OF SA FLIGHT 1619

-

04/08/19

09:03

CONFIRMED: 371 DEAD.

Officials have confirmed a death toll of 371 after SA Flight 1619 crashed into a loch in the Highlands. This confirms SA1619 as the UK's deadliest aviation disaster, and the third worst aviation disaster in global history. The dead include 18 people on the ground; all 12 crew, and 341 of the plane's 342 passengers.

The plane was carrying mostly British nationals, as well as passengers from Italy, Iceland, France, Norway, and Ireland. The identity of the sole survivor is as yet unknown, though officials have confirmed it is a British national.

-

04/08/19

16:19

UPDATE: SOLE SURVIVOR