𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒆𝒏 - 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒕𝒘𝒐

YOUR POV

YOUR POV

"There, there, stop it there!" Syd shouts and points at the screen on Stan's laptop.

Stan presses pause and the two scan the screen, looking for the shadow figure that Syd claims was there with her when the library was destroyed.

"Enhance!" Syd sputters.

Stan shots her a deadpan look, "Does it look like I have the fucking capabilities for that?".

Standing behind the couch in the middle of my two friends, I squint my eyes and lean forward, looking at the screen intently. It feels like the hundredth time we have looked at this same frame and gotten no results.

"Syd, it just looks like your shadow," Stan says what I was thinking.

"Then that must mean I'm going crazy, Stan!" Syd huffs and swipes the rubik's cube out of Stan's hands, he looks down at his now empty hands sadly.

"So fucking annoying," She thinks out loud as she chucks the multicolored cube behind her back. I quickly step to the side to avoid it hitting me.

"Well, what do you think (Y/n)?, demon or shadow?" Stan turns his attention to me.

"I think...this won't help," I lean over and shut the laptop, "we're obviously getting no where and probably have eye strain at this point. Let's figure out some other way to find out what's going on,"

Stan and Syd look at each other and both subtly nod in agreement. Thank, God! If I spent one more minute looking at that computer screen I would probably go brain dead.

_____

I swing my backpack over my shoulder and make my way out of the classroom. I've been staying after school to get some help with my math class, it's never been my strong suit. As I walk down the halls I spot Syd packing her bags. Before I can get close enough to say 'hey', Brad slams his hand on the locker next to her.

"You could have kept your mouth shut!" Brad says through grit teeth, causing Syd to jump.

"Hey, Brad, leave her the fuck her alone!" I grab his shoulder and pull him back, he adjusts his jacket and backs up.

"Syd doesn't owe you anything, you were the dumbass who cheated," I get up in his face, letting him know that neither Syd nor I are scared of cheating scum.

He huffs angrily before stomping off. Syd thanks me and we both go on our way homes.

_____

The front door to my house slams shut behind me and I place my corduroy jacket on the coat hanger. I pull my earphones out my ears that I was using to listen to the mixtape Stan made me. I smile to myself, thinking about our late night text sessions where we share music and fashion tips. The leftovers from dinner last night are still perfectly placed in the fridge and I pull them out. When I shut the fridge door, I see my father sitting at the dining table by himself, looking down at his thumbs.

"Dad?" I question and walk over to our white dining table.

"Huh? When'd you get home?" He looks up with a confused expression.

"Did you not hear me slam the door?" I joke and sit down in the chair adjacent to him.

"I guess not,"

"What's up? Why are you home from work so early?"

He takes a shaky breath in and shifts his gaze to the window, watching the golden leaves outside cascade to the ground.

"I actually didn't gone to work today, or for the past few days,"

My heart drops slightly at the sad tone in his voice. I take his big hand in mine and give him a sympathetic smile.

"I can't imagine how much you're going through, since m-mom," I shakily say.

"No, baby, it's okay," my father looks up at me with soft eyes, "It's hard for all of us,"

   I pull him into an embrace and enjoy the peace between us. I haven't felt close to him in awhile, it feels good to talk to him.

   "You guys forgot to invite me!" I hear Francesca's voice from behind me. She joins in on the hug.

   Pulling away, I see a few loose tears slip from both my sister and my fathers eyes. It feels good to be like a family again.

______

   The clock on my bed side table reads 10:26 p.m., I should be doing homework but I'm really just looking for a distraction.

   As if summoned, I get a text notification from Stan.

from: Stan the Man
to: (Y/n)
| wanna start a hate club?

from: (Y/n)
to: Stan the Man
do you even need to ask? yes, who?|

from: Stan the Man
to: (Y/n)
| syd, she bailed on me for the dance :/

  Instantly, I felt sorry for Stan, he's always such a good guy. He doesn't deserve to be rejected like that. But part of me was relieved he wasn't going with her. Why do I feel like this?

from: (Y/n)
to: Stan the Man
sorry dude :( i'll bring snacks to the first hate club|  meeting    

from: Stan the Man
to: (Y/n)
| i don't actually hate her lol i'm joking around, plus i already asked out Mercedes, what can i say i get hella ladies ;)

   I laughed at Stans text, but I didn't know he liked Mercedes, it made a weird feeling in my stomach.

from: (Y/n)
to: Stan the Man
shut the fuck up no u don't lmao|

from: Stan the Man
to: (Y/n)
| i won't hesitate to hit a woman
| jk jk i would never
| i drink my woman respecting juice

   Stan's text makes me giggle and I go to type a response. I fall asleep after hitting send, the smile Stan gave me still plastered on my face.

a/n
some wholesome dad and stan content <3 also if any of u like anime i'm gonna start writing some anime books so u can check those out if you like that stuff :)))
— kendall <3