Mi Amor

~~✰~~

It's the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses. Two tribes, one island.

~~✰~~

Lazing sprawled out in the back of John B's van, Elayna can't help the small giggle that escapes her chapped lips. Head in JJ's lap and feet in Kie's, Elayna can't think of a single thing she'd rather be doing. 

Contrary to popular belief, the blonde-haired girl was content with being a Pogue. Not overly thrilled about it-and not as angry as one would think, just content.

Being a Pogue sure as hell wasn't easy, but it had this undeniable thrill that just didn't come with being a Kook.

So here she sits, laughing so hard her stomach hurts as JJ cracks joke after joke-most of the time being ungodly inappropriate, and Kie and Pope reprimanding him for it like some old married couple.

The cut isn't the easiest place to live, most kid's here come from broken families-but as the wind from the open windows flows through her long blonde hair, leaving it tousled and tangly, Elayna truly can't bring herself to care.

"Should have brought a brush with you Rapunzel, look at this beehive!" JJ exclaims, carding his hands through the blue-eyed teen's hair, fingers getting caught on a knot.

"Ow! J, what the hell?" Elayna cries out, no real fire behind her words. 

Quickly detangling his hands from the girl's hair,post-hearing her yelp of pain, JJ grabs Elayna's face in his hands, forcing her to look at him, "Aww, is my Lanie baby hurt?"

Throwing her head back in a laugh, Elayna says, "Piss off," before repositioning herself. 

Tugging her feet back from Kie's lap, Elayna curls up on JJ. Head resting on the blond's shoulder, the Pogue lets her eyes drift towards the window, looking out at all of the small houses, most in poor shape.

No matter what anyone else says, the Outer Banks will always be beautiful in her eyes.

~~✰~~

Waking up the next morning, Elayna finds herself tucked comfortably in JJ's bare chest. Both teens had stayed the night at John B's-JJ wanting to avoid his Dad, and Elayna her overbearing Mother.

Grumbling softly to herself, the young Pogue was just about to drift off back to sleep when she felt a light tap on the small of her back, "Yo, Layna, JJ, been outside yet?"

Without even sparing the boy walking past them a glance, both half asleep teens mutter out sarcastic excuses,

"I have polio, bro. I can't walk."

"Got paralyzed in the storm, no more walking for me."

Barely registering what the other had said, both blondes start laughing. It was like second nature in their group to hand out sarcastic and borderline-offensive remarks, yet it still never ceased to be funny.

Sitting up so the girl on his chest slid down to his lap, JJ lets himself stretch for the first time in a few hours saying, "Morning Barbie, get any sleep over the storm?"