Chapter 16: Guardian angel?

The school buzzed with excitement and conversation on the bright sunny Monday morning. People were just hanging around and not even bothering to go to class, why should they? The juniors were going to be out of class the whole day anyways.

Ryan shook with nerves as he took a seat next to his friends in the courtyard outside, they were talking and laughing like any normal Monday but Ryan just couldn't focus.

All students in their junior year have a day when they are assigned with a guardian angel, today was that day. He couldn't stop thinking about it, what if he didn't even like them? What if they didn't like him? What if he just didn't get one! So much could go wrong. He looked up to see his blue haired friend staring at him with concerned eyes.

"Ryan? You alright pal? You look scared." Steven tilted his head slightly with the inquiry, his ever present smile bringing some calm to Ryan's troubled mind.

"Yeah I'm fine, just a little worried." He said, looking over at the rest of the kids at the table, who were also now looking at him.

"It's gonna be ok Ryan! We're all in this together." Sara put in, also shooting him a smile. The group made noises of agreement and sent encouragement his way, but most of it just bounced off. They had good intentions, truly, but when Ryan has a worry set in his head, it doesn't go away.

He tried to fall in with his friends, managing to crack some jokes like the normal Ryan, but time passed so quickly and all of a sudden all of the juniors were heading off to the auditorium for the assembly. The mayor stood on the stage and was talking to their principal, and suddenly it felt like Ryan could feel the fears of every person in the room. He sat down next to his friends, listening to the mayor give some sort of big speech that he tuned out most of the time.

Then the names started being called.

It was maybe 30 minutes in when Ryan was finally next, once you got your angel you were allowed to leave for the day, so you could get some time to meet them or something. He focused on not tripping as he walked from the back of the room all the way to the front. Was he sweating?

Ryan reached the stage and climbed up the stairs, stopping next to the two men and waiting patiently.

"Ryan, here is your guardian." Ryan turned to the curtain, where a tall boy strode out. His hair flopped around and he looked sort of like some sort of cryptid when he walked, it made Ryan want to laugh. As the boy approached he noticed the thin glow of red surrounding him, almost as if he wasn't exactly an angel.

"H..hi." Ryan started, smiling softly at him.

"Hey Ryan, nice to meet you, I'm Shane." And the two walked off the stage together.

Ryan tried to ignore the like 6 inch difference between them, but every time he went to glance at the boy, he was basically straining his neck.

"So uh Shane, do all angels have that reddish aura around them?" He asked when they were outside of the school. They stopped in the grass and Shane looked down at him.

"Yeah well about that, I'm not exactly an angel." Ryan tilted his head with confusion, it didn't dawn on him until a moment later.

"I got a guardian demon?!?" Ryan exclaimed, recoiling from Shane slightly just off of instinct.

"There seems to have been a mistake." The demon shifted onto one long ass leg, messing with his hair with one hand.

"So can I get a real guardian angel?"

"Oh no, I'm staying, just saying that there was a mistake." Shane smiled at him and god- if that smile wasn't so cute Ryan would have punched him right then and there.