Chapter 3: Glimmer of Hope

[Gabriella's POV]

Weeks went by. Even though I was acing Dr. Reid's class, I couldn't take seeing him everyday. When I couldn't stand it any longer, I skipped class. Let the others ogle and proposition him, I would drop out of his class for the rest of the semester, then retake the course when Professor Clarke was back. That plan was ruined by a loud series of pounding on my door.

"Gabriella, open this door right now." I heard Dr. Reid saying in a firm tone while he pounded.

"F**k you." I muttered as I pulled the blanket over my head. Then I threw it off and thought, 'let's get this over before he has a premature stroke'. I walked to the door, opened it and glared at him as I folded my arms. "What?!" I demanded and motioned him in.

"Why'd you miss my class today?" He asked after I shut the door. "I asked all your other teachers. They said you were in *their* classes so why is my class..."

"Because you're right. I do need to drop out of your class." I snap. "I don't think I knew what I was getting myself into when I met you the first time!"

"Gabby, you were 3 and I was 6." Spencer stated matter of factly.

"I don't think you get my point. You're vastly different from the letters you sent." I protest.

"I want to protect you." He murmured softly before kissing me.

"Then, can't you protect me as my boyfriend rather than as a teacher?" I said as I stood on my tiptoes and kissed him.

"I don't want to say yes and then have you murdered in front of me, like Maeve." Spencer now broke down. "I was falsely accused of murder, imprisoned..." he choked on his tears. "And that's the more recent problems, Gabs."

"Spencer, you could never hurt anybody." I told him. He shook his head.

"I did. I poisoned the prisoners who wanted me to move drugs through the prison, I could've killed Cat by choking her if JJ hadn't stopped me..." he sobbed.

"Spencer," this made him lift his head. "If you had moved the drugs, they would have kept you in prison. And if I recall what you told the class about Cat Adams correctly, she framed you. That may not have been the right response, but it's certainly understandable. Is there anything else I don't know?"

"I'm great husband and father material." Spencer murmured in sarcasm as he rolled his sleeve up and showed me his old track marks. I touched them.

"How did the addiction start and..."

"Dilaudid... I was kidnapped, beaten until almost dead..."

"That," I said through my teeth as I used my hands to rub his chest in gentle circular motions, "is not your fault. Just like the rest of this s*** you went through is not your fault." Finally, the tears stopped.

Spencer kissed me again and said, "I'll see you tomorrow morning." He turned to leave but tilted his head to look at me. "Oh, and be early."

"Why?" I asked, narrowing my eyes.

"Because you're my new TA, starting tomorrow." My jaw dropped. Teacher's assistant? What the hell, Spencer? "And before you ask why, that's to keep you coming to class."

"You're using it as punishment?!" I yelled down the hallway as Dr. Reid shook in laughter before he entered his own apartment.

--

[Spencer POV]

Contrary to Gabby's belief, I was not using the position as punishment entirely for her skipping class. I wanted her near me, FBI Agent or not. Plus, the gobsmacked look on her face was quite hilarious. I just didn't want any of the other girls to ask to be my assistant because then they would, according to Morgan and Garcia, use that as leverage for their grades. Gabby wasn't like that. "That was cathartic." I mumble as I fix myself a microwaveable meal. I'm tempted to go back over to Gabby's apartment and propose we have a sleepover but I want her to approach me first.