Chapter 12

When Link finally reached the Tech Lab, the first thing he noticed was Epona standing near the door, unsaddled and brushed, a bucket of water in front of her and the remains of some hay on the ground.
He was thankful for whoever took care of her, but couldn't help but feel disappointed at the lack of a second horse.
Before he could walk through the doors, Symin appeared from behind the house, looking slightly distressed as he approached Link.
'You're back!' He said. 'We didn't know if you would be, but Purah said you would never leave your horse.' As he came closer he could now obviously see the scared look in Links eyes, for his steps haltered and he cocked his head questioningly. 'Where is Zelda?'
Link only stared at him, trying to find an explanation for everything, but no matter how he tried, it all sounded terrible.
'Link? What happened?' Symin asked, worry now obvious in his voice.
'She is not here...' Link mumbled, more to himself than to the Sheikah in front of him.
'No she is not.' Symin said, a strange expression on his face. 'We thought you two had just gone to your house, but then this morning we found Epona standing here, unsaddled and all.'
Link shook his head as realisation set in. 'We didn't. I have to go after her!' At that he ran into the Lab, where a startled Purah started to rise from the table, confusion written all over her face.
'I need the Slate!' Link almost yelled, grabbing it from where it lay on the table.
Purah started to mutter something, but he didn't listen, already on his way out.
Back outside he turned towards Epona and started preparing her, while Symin ran after him, completely confused.
'Link! What happened? Please explain what's going on. Where is she?'
'I... I messed up,' Link said, as he heaved himself onto his horse. 'She is gone. I have to make sure she is safe. I'm sorry Symin, I don't have time to explain.'
     Before the man could protest, Link pushed Epona into a gallop and raced down the hill.
Looking at the map on the Sheikah Slate, he decided not to follow the entire path, instead he would try to take a short cut and catch Zelda somewhere on the road to Zora's Domain.
     Galloping through town, rain pouring down as if it tried to wash him away, he did not slow down. Instead he called out to the few villagers that were still outside to get out of his way, hoping they would forgive him for his rudeness.
     When he reached the Ginner Woods he stopped following the road and took a sharp turn right, cutting straight through the trees and onto grassy slopes, which led him to the right bank of Nirvata Lake.
     Link stopped and dismounted Epona, rummaging through her saddlebags and pulling out his Zora Armor. He quickly got changed and patted his horse on the neck.
     After everything happening with the Sheikah technology and his Slate, he really hoped the special horse gear still worked. He would find out soon enough.
     With one last stroke over Epona's nose he turned and jumped into the cold water, quickly swimming towards the waterfall.
     The usual wave of adrenaline washed over him, not unlike the massive wall of water did. It felt good to be moving, to make so much distance with little effort. Maybe he would find Zelda before she could get into any trouble, not knowing how many monsters were scattered around the Domain.
     At the top of the waterfall he jumped out of the water and climbed the slippery slope on his left, slick with rain. Up on the safety of grass he whistled for Epona and felt an immense relief as she appeared before him. It still worked.
     He hugged her neck quickly, before changing back to his original clothes and riding up the steep slope of Nirvata Plateau. As soon as they reached the highest part, he steered her down again on the other side.
     Down below, next to a small pond, a Hinox lay sleeping on its back, but Link decided to just stay out of its way. The moutainslope got rockier here, steeper, making it hard for Epona to walk on. So he dismounted and jumped down to the Lanayru Road.
     Link grimaced as he looked up at the gate on his left, where everything had changed so long ago. Both on their way up as on the way down.
     He turned to the right and looked up at the mountain, a ragged peak in the grey skies. A smile appeared on his face as he saw the blue dragon Naydra slowly and gracefully fly above the mountaintop.
     He could see it clawing through the sky, its head bobbing up and down as it slowly got closer. Suddenly Link realised it would pass right overhead, making him feel a rush of excitement. It was rare to see a dragon this close.
     As it flew on, he could see the blue and gray scales on its underside, the giant claws and the impressive head, with all those spikes protruding upwards. Link put his head in his neck as he stood gaping up, his mouth slightly open.
     Suddenly the peaceful ambience was disrupted by a loud roar. All the little hairs in his neck rose, as he instinctively grabbed for his sword. He didn't even have to look to find out where it came from. He knew that sound. Lynel.
     He drew his sword while turning around, now face to face with a giant, very angry, Silver Lynel.
     Its mane was huge and wild, with two curved horns protruding through the hairs. The giant horse-like body showed bright purple stripes and needed to be tremendously strong, carrying all that weight. The chest was just a massive block of pure muscle, littered with scars.
     Link knew that people often mistook those scars for weakness, but that it was actually the opposite. The more a Lynel had, the more powerful he was. They never lost a fight, unless they died. Seeing the countless ragged lines covering its body, Link knew he was in deep trouble.
     As they stood still, both staring the other down, it grew deadly silent. Link felt his body prepare for a fight, his senses highly alert.
     That was probably the only thing that saved his life, as the monster suddenly charged and slashed its giant sword in a horizontal line, ready to cut off Links head in one swift stroke. He jumped up and backwards, narrowly going over the sharp edge.
     As the blade passed beneath him, time seemed to slow down, enabling him to see every little line on the Lynels body. He took a deep breath and lurched forward, slashing the Master Swords down on the front legs.
     He got a few cuts in before the Lynel jumped back and took some distance, putting away its weapons. Link, having some experience in fighting them, knew what it was about to do and braced himself.
     When the Lynel ducked down, its horns pointing forward, and charged at Link with a speed that was almost too great to follow, he waited for the last moment. Link then quickly jumped aside, immediately turning and slashing at the hindlegs.
     He managed a few slashes, but the beast was too high and too strong for it to do much damage, its skin incredibly thick.
     Before he could do more, the Lynel erected its back to its full height and sucked in air, its chest expanding. Link opened his eyes wide as he realised what was happening and started to run.
     Just in time he jumped behind a tree, as the surrounding area seemed to explode in a ball of fire, the Lynel at its center.
     Link was still panting, both from exertion and fear, but he did not allow himself any time to let it sink in.
     He quickly grabbed his bow and an arrow. Barely even taking time to aim, he let it fly.
     The Lynel was still recovering its strength after its outburst and did not even see it coming, as the sharp point cut straight through its manes and into its ear, almost ripping it off.
     It buckled forward, catching itself on its massive hands, and Link took the chance to run towards it and jump on its back, getting a greater vantage point. He maneuvred his sword with some difficulty between his own body and the muscled back, but managed to make a deep slash in the shoulder.
     The Lynel roared and started to stagger, making it hard to hold on. With a last desperate attempt, Link stabbed the point in its back and held on tightly as he slid of the beast, tracing the sword through skin and muscle.
     The monster now arched its back in pain and fury, turning again and piercing Link with its fiery red eyes. Dark blood slowly trickled down its flanks, leaving the white fur stained and sticky.
     As Link held his shield up high, sword ready, he waited for the beast to do something. When it took in another deep breath, he dropped his posture and ran again, following a big circle around the Lynel. He heard the fire balls approaching and passing behind him, leaving a scorching hot airstream slapping against his back.
     Link stumbled forward and as the last ball of fire disappeared, he turned back to the Lynel, a determined look in his eyes and again ready for an attack.
     This time the Lynel charged forward, using its hands to claw at the ground. Link jumped aside again, but a little too slow. His foot got hit by its shoulder, feeling like a boulder slammed into him. The force sent his body spinning and he tumbled to the ground, groaning in pain.
     The Lynel was already approaching again, so he quickly got up, relieved to feel that his foot still supported his weight, despite the throbbing pain.
     As the sword came crashing down in a vertical swing this time, Link jumped forward and to its left. While the Lynel was pulling the sword free from the ground, he stabbed his own into the softer skin right under the front leg.
     The blade disapeared about halfway, before hitting something hard. With two hands Link grabbed the hilt as tightly as he could, while the Lynel staggered and roared, turning towards Link with its front legs kicking in the air. Its own movements now caused the blade to slash further into its leg and when he came back down on the ground, it buckled under its weight.
     Link quickly jumped away from the massive colossus to not be crushed. He managed to free his sword and step back, panting heavily. Sweat was dripping down his back and over his face, but he simply raised his arm and wiped it on his sleeve.
      The Lynel was supporting its weight on one fist and its head was bent down as it recovered its strength. After a few seconds it struggled up to its hooves again and lifted the sword.
     A little slower now that it was on three legs, it still managed to charge forward, rapidly slashing at Link.
     He had to duck down and crawl backwards as the blade came flying over his head. As he lay on his back he was now helpless for the blade that seemed to move in slow motion.
     It climbed into the sky, higher and higher, until it disappeared from view behind the wild manes. He did not have to wait long, however, for it came crashing down again, moving fast even when the world seemed so slow.
     Link managed to raise his shield up and ducked behind it as the blade smashed into him.
     There was a giant crashing sound, echoing between the rock walls surrounding them. A bright flash of light blinded Link and his arm felt completely numb from the incredible power behind the blow.
     The only reason he was not crushed into the earth or split in two was the special power he had received at Death Mountain. As Daruk's Protection came into action, the power that the Lynel had used was thrown right back at it, making it fly backwards.
     Link used this little time of relief to get up and shake his arm, which still felt numb. He looked over at the Lynel, which was slowly raising itself to its full height again. There was blood all over its body now and its left arm seemed to be hanging limply.
     Before Link could do anything else, the Lynel came at him again, unwilling to give up. It swung its sword horizontally and Link jumped over it, quickly closing the gap and slashing the beast as high as possible, leaving a gaping gash in its right side.
     He could however not prevent the beast from turning and slapping him with its rear end, sending Link flying a few metres away.
     As he gasped for air he struggled up a bit, only to see the Lynel ducking its head again and charging right at him.
     In a last desperate attempt, he waited for the last moment to flatten himself to the ground again, raising his sword upwards.
     He heard a crunching noise as the still useful front leg landed with full force on his shoulder, shattering it under the weight. Link cried out and temporarily lost his vision, leaving everything in a blinding light of pain.
     His entire left arm went numb, falling to the ground as dead weight, while his right hand struggled to hold on to the sword.
     A split second later, as the Lynel passed over him, the hoof of its right hind leg landed on Links thigh, making a second loud noise as a new source of pain flashed through his body.
     His head lulled to the side, his eyes blindingly rolling around.
     With every last bit of will power he managed to keep hold on his sword, sticking it out as the left rear leg flew by. The giant force of the Lynel's charge made it cut deep into the flesh, yanking the sword away from Link's limp hand.
     He let out another scream, loud and long, which rolled between the mountainsides. It was however suddenly overpowered by the roar of the Lynel, which seemed to be filled with pain and anger.
     Link slowly turned his head to search the beast and saw it some three metres away, lying on its right side and struggling to get back up. The Master Sword was sticking out of its left leg, which was almost cut in two, and the white of its fur was barely visible under all the blood.
     Even though the world seemed to move in and out of focus and the pain was making it almost impossible to think, let alone move, Link pushed himself to stay awake.
     He blinked a few times, took some deep breaths and bit down on his teeth as tightly as he could, before using his right arm to push himself up.
     The renewed pain that shot through his entire left side was worse than anything he had ever felt. It was burning hot and seeped into every fiber of his brain, until it was all he could think about. Link screamed again, but did not give up.
     With his hand and foot he slowly crawled over the earth, his jaw clenched shut so tight he was afraid he might break his teeth. His left side was simply being dragged along, bouncing against every little pebble on the ground, making Link cry out every time.
     When he finally reached the Lynel, it was looking at him, still with fierce red eyes, alert on every motion. The beast was unable to get up and seemed to weaken with every passing minute, as blood seeped out of its wounds.
     Link looked at the monster and saw a flicker of intelligence in the little eyes. It was a magnificent creature, strong and smart, but too powerful for its own good. It was vicious and a threat to every living thing around it. The kingdom would be a better place without this one.
     Slowly Link reached for the Master Sword, his eyes temporarily falling shut. He forced them open again and pulled it free, extracting a loud roar from deep within the massive chest.
     With a grunt of pain Link put the sword with the tip against the broad chest and pushed. At first there was a lot of resistance, which caused him to let out another scream as he had to use more force. Finally it sunk beneath the skin, deeper and deeper, until it reached the heart.
     The Lynel seemed to shudder, its legs twitching. The red eyes looked at Link one last time, before the light behind them seemed to go out, leaving a dull colour behind.
     Link sighed in relief, knowing it was finally over, and let his head fall to the ground. He closed his eyes and placed his hand on his chest, feeling it go up and down at his rapid breathing. Finally he allowed himself to let everything go, feeling the black waves wash over him as his consciousness faded away.