Before I

Jaime was lying stretched out in her brother's bed, legs tangled in the sheets, not bothering to cover her bare chest as her mane of curly hair fanned out around her head like a halo. The thought amused her. The very picture of holiness

Her brother had pulled on his breeches and gotten to his feet, pouring himself some wine from the decanter on the table. The candlelight gave his skin had a warm hue, made his hair glint gold. 

"If anyone was going to marry you, it should have been Robert," Cersen was saying. She was hardly listening, in truth. He had been on this subject when she first came to him that night, and she had kissed him to shut him up. The moment they were done, however, he was back at it once more. "Then it would be far less struggle to get our son on the throne. And you would always have lived in King's Landing, not vanished off to Storm's End for years,"

"They were going to marry me to Robert, if you recall," Jaime drawled, propping herself up on her elbow to face him. "Until they insisted on checking I was still a maiden," That had been 'just a formality', according to Jon Arryn, meant to get rid of the rumours that the Mad King had violated during her time as his ward (hostage). 

She understood those rumours, at least; Aerys had hardly been subtle in his lust for her, making lewd comments and groping her in public, though even he hadn't dared to go further than that with Tywin Lannister's daughter, the man he wouldn't admit to relying on to put down Robert's Rebellion. What Jaime had not understood was the need for that wrinkled old septa to poke around inside her to confirm the fact. 

Of course, the woman had found that she hadn't been a maiden in years, her father still thought to this day that Aerys raped her, and she was quietly married off to Robert's younger brother instead, whilst the king took Ashara Dayne to wife. Who was hardly a virgin either, but less publicly, and she didn't have probable madness as an additional stain on her reputation.

"Besides, I killed the last king," Jaime added. "A kingslayer queen would've raised a few eyebrows," It was for the best. She would have disliked being queen, and disliked being married to Robert even more. Even Stannis was better than that man. At least if she told her husband to fuck off, he did.

"Then it's your own fault," Cersen sneered. "You chose to kill Aerys. Gods, Jaime, do you ever think ahead? You could have been queen, instead of that miserable Dornish wretch," Wretch? Ashara was perhaps the one woman in Westeros more beautiful than Jaime herself. It was a good thing she wasn't the jealous type. "Our son could have been a king,"

"Lord Baratheon is hardly an empty title," She laughed at him, unconcerned. "And truly, I would rather Joffrey became a septon than a king or a lord. He would cause less damage," 

Jaime was not the kind of mother who was blind to her children's faults or proclaimed them wonderful in every way. She loved her eldest son to a point, and had done what she could for him, but even she would openly admit that he was a little shit. Which was perhaps why the boy preferred Cersen's company to her own.

"Joff has spirit, unlike the rest of your brood," Her brother waved an impatient hand, sipping his wine. He had always resented the fact that six of her eight children had black hair; or more likely resented the fact that there was living proof another man had fucked her. Even after all this time, he grew angry at any mention of her husband, whilst he brushed off her annoyances about Lysa as childish. "He would make a strong king, I've been telling you for years," Strong, yes, and despised by his people.

"And I've been ignoring you for years," Jaime shrugged. "Even if Joffrey was not who he is, even if I wanted him to be king, Robert has three trueborn children already,"