35

"Tressi Sakit?" asked the taller of the two policemen.

Their raincoats dripped water all over her porch and their hair was soaking wet. The rubber squeaked everytime they moved. The sound was awful against the calm stillness of the air where the rain had just stopped moments before.

"Yes," she replied, with a tremor in her voice.

"I'm Inspector Darlow and this is Officer Hayes. We would like to ask you and your husband some questions. Can we come in?"

Inspector Darlow had an imposing presence. He was tall and well built. With a clean shaven face that showed a severely angular jaw and a nose that looked like it had been broken more than once, it was clear that this was someone to take seriously. Officer Hayes too, was a man that could have been initimidating by his own right, but his stance was more subservient. The hierarchy was clear.

Before Tressi could answer him however, Des had appeared behind her at the doorway in time to catch the end of the exchange. "What's this about?" he asked them.

"Mr. Des Gemira?" said Inspector Darlow, with a quick glance at his notes.

"Yes."

"Mrs. Patty Gennings, assistant to the warden at Rothan's institution, was found dead this morning. We would like to ask you some questions about that. Can we come in?" he asked, as his sharp eyes took note of their shock.

The husband and wife stepped aside to let them pass. Tressi could see the Inspector's eyes dart around the place, taking it all in. What impression he formed, was anyone's guess.

"How?" asked Tressi, shock still evident in her voice.

He didn't answer her immediately. Instead, he walked into the living room with Officer Hayes and stood next to the couch. Des gestured for them to sit down and went to get chairs for Tressi and himself. Only when they'd all sat down, facing each other, did the Inspector respond.

"It looks to be an overdose of sleep medication."

"Suicide," whispered Tressi, and the inspector didn't miss the flash of intuition that crossed her features.

"That doesn't surprise you?" he asked, with his eyebrows raised.

Des replied, "Well, she did have a reason to do it. We saw her get fired yesterday."

"Can you elaborate on that?"

So he did. He told them how he and Tressi had waited in Dala's room before Patty had come in, and told them about gossip surrounding Mrs. Methro and Igna Peren.

"Did Igna Peren hear what had been said?"

Tressi and Des looked at each other. Tressi spoke, "Well... she wasn't in the room. But just as Patty finished telling us about her, she entered. Patty was about to say something else but she didn't because the warden came in. We did wonder if she'd heard anything, but we aren't sure."

The inspector noted it down. "Let me get this clear. Patty Gennings made accusations against Igna Peren for embezzling the sponsor funds and against Mrs. Methro for illegal gambling?" They nodded. "Was there anyone else she made accusations against?"

The couple looked at each other once again, but didn't reply.

"Did she say anything about Mrs. Lana Waldam, for instance?" he asked.

It was clear that he already had all the information. He was asking for their version. There didn't seem to be any point hiding anything from him. So Tressi said, "There was some nasty old gossip about Mrs. Waldam, but there was no way Mrs. Waldam could've heard that. She'd already been taken up to her room."

He switched his attention to Des. "Mr. Gemira, you escorted Mrs. Waldam up before any of this happened?"

"Yes."

"So there is no way she could have heard what happened down in the lawn? There's no way she could come back down in time to hear what had been said?"

"No, I don't think so," said Des.

"How can you be sure?"

"Because, the warden sedated her. Mrs. Waldam was quite upset and a bit hysterical when we took her up to her room."

"How was she sedated?" The inspector's pen was poised against the paper.

"Mrs. Peren gave her some pills."

"And you saw Mrs. Waldam take them?"

"Yes."

"As far as you are aware, who all knew about Mrs. Waldam's medication?"

Tressi shrugged. "It was quite a common knowledge that she was under a lot of medication. Mrs. Peren made sure to warn everyone who spoke to her during the party so we wouldn't upset her."

"So as far as you knew, Patty had publicly made allegations against Mrs. Methro, the warden, and Mrs. Waldam. Was there anybody else she spoke against?"

"No." They shook their heads.

"Both of you witnessed Patty Gennings get fired. Was there a reason Mrs. Peren gave for firing her?"

"She said that it was because Patty was incompetent and that she'd put up with enough," said Des.

The inspector noted it down. "You'll be required to come to the station later to sign your statements. I would advise not leaving town without informing us."

He and the stoic Officer Hayes, got up from the sofa and walked to the doorway. The couple trailed behind them. As he was about to leave, the Inspector turned around.

"Oh, I forgot. What was the reason that you were in Mrs. Dala Sakit's room in the first place?"

"We were waiting for her. We were told that she'd be there by eight, but she hadn't shown up. So we thought we'd just wait in her room. But later, Mrs. Peren informed us her flight had been cancelled, and that she won't be back before morning."

At Tressi's words, the notebook was flipped open again. "Mrs. Peren told you that Dala Sakit wasn't in Lapec? And that her flight was cancelled?"

Nothing they had told him till now had surprised him, but he seemed taken aback by this.

"Yes," Tressi replied, confused by his inflection.

"Mrs. Dala Sakit arrived here at five o'clock last evening. We checked. Her flight wasn't cancelled."