I

one.

両刃の刃

両刃の刃

( a double-edged blade! )

|

THE SOUND OF the gym door slamming shut cuts through the suffocating tension that had overtaken the brightly lit space. Almost in unison, the remaining teenagers let out sighs of relief.

"I'm going to have a heart attack one of these days." Hanamaki Takahiro comments idly, untying one side of a net. "Though, I'd prefer not to considering I'm only eighteen and that's a shit way to go."

"You're too young to have a heart attack." Matsukawa Issei counters, the middle blocker working on the other side of the net. "Statistically speaking, you're more likely to die in a car accident, drowning, or accidental injury. My money's on accidental injury."

"Fuck your statistics."

Both pause, and then almost in sync, turn their heads expectantly towards their captain. But instead of him scolding them for 'vulgar language', they're met with the sight of him gripping a volleyball tightly, a cloud hanging over his features. The two exchange a glance.

Oikawa Tooru was known for many things. Being obsessed with victory and childish about any hindrances in his way was one of them.

"Oi!" Iwaizumi's shout from across the gym causes all three to jump. "Don't just stand there, start cleaning up!"

Oikawa looks up, still frowning. "But Iwa-chan, I'm thinking."

"Huh, I didn't know you could do that."

Makki and Mattsun high-five after speaking in unison, ignoring Oikawa's blithering scowl.

"I'm thinking about Kyo-chan."

If it was any other day, any other person, the three other teenagers would've made fun of him for his phrasing. But instead, they all lapse into a choppy silence, the events of the past week running across their minds.

Kyotani Kentarou was troublesome and the most aggressive player they had on the team, but he was also one of the most powerful. He was an unknown variable that would throw their opponents off kilter, enough so that they could strike the killing blow quicker and more efficiently than they had previous years. However, the double-edged sword they'd chosen to wield was turning out to be particularly difficult to handle.

Oikawa knew this better than any of them, knew this because all he'd been doing the past week was cutting himself on this sword.

The setter was exceptionally stubborn and determined, which meant he wasn't about to let this opportunity to slip through his fingers. It was easy to figure out what made Kyotani tick, honestly most things did, it was figuring out how to utilize this that was giving Oikawa trouble.