chapter three: maybe you're not the worst thing ever

"Nini."

"Ricky." the petite brunette gibes, Ricky's dad puffs air out of his cheeks, gesturing his head toward the hallway.

"Here come in," Ricky opens the door, the girl walking through. "The kitchen's over there." Ricky gestures to the dining area, the girl walking in awkwardly. Ricky shutting the door behind her quickly, stepping toward the hallway, his dad following close behind.

"Ricky I didn't know we were gonna have company." his dad starts, glancing at the company in question.

"I know and I'm sorry I didn't warn you but we just have to get this project done, apparently it's due tomorrow. So it's kinda urgent."

"Well, I'm not gonna be here tonight-"

"What why?" Ricky cuts the man off, confusion gracing his face. His dad is a janitor he works days, nights, just whenever he can to support their family. Even if it means Ricky taking care of himself most of the time. Today was supposed to be his day off though.

"I took an extra shift, I didn't realize you were gonna have company though, otherwise I would have declined. I have to leave in thirty minutes though, is this something you can reschedule? I don't know how comfortable I am with you having an empty house with a girl over."

"Dad, come on it's not like that. It's Nini."

"Exactly." his dad said, eyebrows raising. Oh my gosh, give it a rest. He pushes his dad's face away, the older man's smile electrifying.

"I wish you told me you were working tonight, you know you need a day off at some point right?" Ricky proposes, his dad frowning in response. He moves to look in the kitchen, catching a glance of Nini who was sitting on the table stool, taking in the house's surroundings.

Their house is filled with pictures of Ricky and his dad. There are barely any pictures of when he was younger, his mom keeping them all with her in the divorce. They have a pretty simple house, three-bedroom, a kitchen, bathroom, living area. It's definitely more than they can afford right now though.

After the divorce his dad went into a depression, being late to work constantly, even calling in sick half the time. Eventually, they had enough and fired him. By that point, his mom declared she wants the house back, and they got in yet another fight over legal rights over items. There was a big debate over custody, they let Ricky choose though. Finally, he chose his dad, and then they moved to Salt Lake City, his dad's side of the family already over here. Whenever things get tight they always know they can call them.

"I know, but money's tight right now." the man says, voice low. "It'll be okay though, we'll get through it. Alright, I gotta head out, no funny business." His dad points a finger at him, Ricky laughing at the very parental gesture.

"Shut up!" his dad brings him into a hug, shooting a quick wink at Ricky.

"Bye Nini," he calls out, the girl smiling at him, being taken aback. Ricky closes the door behind him, shaking his head at his father's usual antics.

Ricky takes a deep breath before he heads into the dining area to face the beast.

Or otherwise known as Nini Salazar-Roberts.

He notices her facial expression and realization sinks in, she heard the conversation. Shit.

"So, uh I guess it's just us. My dad had to go to work."

"Oh yeah," she gestures to the hallway. "I heard." he nods, great now the person who probably hates him the most knows of his financial issues too.