Chapter 3 - Escape Pt.2

Sam gasped in horror as the light flooded the room, revealing the heart-breaking sight of a mutilated teenage boy. "Oh my god," she whispered. She put a hand over her mouth, tears welling up in her eyes. Tucker turned his head to the side, holding back a gag at the sight of the teen's gaping throat.

The boy looked utterly broken. He was hunched over as if they were going to hit him. He was bloody and battered, with a tight collar around his neck. The two teenagers could see the tremors as they coursed through the ghost's body. He was shaking uncontrollably. He kept his eyes on the floor the entire time.

Sam let out a heartbroken whine as she saw him struggle to force himself into a kneeling position. "Oh my god," she repeated. "How could they do this? He's just a kid!" She whispered to Tucker.

Tucker shook his head sadly. He took a step forward, wincing as he saw the boy flinch. "I'm sorry," he tried. "We're here to help."

The boy only stared at the floor in silence.

"Can you... can you look at us?" Sam whispered. The wounded teen tensed, lowering his head further. "You... you won't be punished." Her voice cracked at the word 'punished.' This boy was completely traumatized. Her blood pulsed with rage at the monsters who did this to him.

The ghost still hesitated. He finally raised his head, but kept his eyes looking away. Both Sam and Tucker's hearts wrenched with grief when they saw his face. He looked vacant and empty. As if he was numb.

"Can you stand?" Tucker asked.

The teen staggered to his feet, and immediately lowered his head once more. Sam dove forward instinctually to support him, but his eyes widened in fear at the sudden movement and he stumbled backward, crashing into the wall.

"Shit, I'm so sorry!" Sam whispered, stepping back to give him space. "I didn't mean to scare you! I only want to help." She soothed, trying to calm the now panicking ghost.

The ghost clutched at his chest and closed his eyes, taking a few deep breaths before stepping forward again. He stumbled, leaning too far to one side. Sam wanted to help, but knew he would freak out again if she did. He straightened himself out, standing carefully. He was eyeing the two suspiciously, but refused to make eye contact.

Tucker glanced at Sam. "We don't have time." He whispered tensely. "We need to get out, fast." Sam nodded slowly, glancing at the injured teen in front of them. They had to hurry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why hadn't they hurt him? The boy stood swaying slightly in the cell. He had failed. He had fallen over. He had flinched. Where were the punches? The kicks? He was unsettled and confused. He wouldn't raise his eyes to meet theirs, but by studying their bodies he could see that they weren't dressed like the GIW. Was this a new test?

He heard mumbling and saw the two begin walking slowly out of the room, glancing back at him. He knew he was required to follow. Resistance meant punishment.

He staggered out of the room after them. He could tell they wanted to do something, but didn't know what. It was probably a new test. They led him down the hall and he saw the turn that led to Wulf. He stopped, conflicted.

They haven't hurt me yet, he thought. They said they were here to help. I could... I could get Wulf.

A darker voice in the back of his mind hissed back, they're testing you. The second you make a mistake, it's back to the experimentation room.

He hesitated, thinking back to himself, I made mistakes already. I wasn't punished.

It's a test! The voice snarled. You can't risk yourself for some other pitiful ghost.