Chapter 2:

I'm guessing Minho walked away because Newt fell back asleep. I took the opportunity to go to sleep as well. "Hey. We really do need to get up though." Newt woke me again softly. "We need to find you a job today." He stood up and wiped the grass from his clothes. "Job?"

He nodded. "I'll explain on the way to breakfast. Let's go." 

There were quite a few buildings made entirely out of wood. The one we went to get food from was smaller. It was open on one side and had a long table with pots lined on it. Newt walked with me in a line where a few boys in front behind a table scooped food for us. "So we've made a system around here to make life run smoother. For example, Minho is a runner. He's also Keeper of the runners. So like the boss of them. Medjacks fix people up when they get hurt or sick. Then we also have gardeners. Which I'm Keeper of." I soaked in all the information Newt was giving. Medjack sounds like it'd be fun. Helping people. 

"And today starts your training. Well, looking for training. To see where you'd best fit. I'll explain what every job does once we get to it. I don't want it to be too much for you." I simply nodded and walked to a clear plane of grass to eat in. Minho and another boy followed us. His shoulders were wider than Newt and Minho. His skin was also a lot darker. And he had no hair, but he wasn't old. "

"Andi, I'd like you to meet Alby. He's in charge around here. So if you can't find one of us, go get the other." Alby chuckled, "Yes Newt's in charge when I'm not around." Newt nudged the boy's arm, "Which thankfully isn't too often." I smiled and started to eat my food. 

After breakfast, Newt had me walk the Glade with him. "Frypan is the Keeper of the cooks. It's kind of obvious what they do. Uhm, over here is where I work." He pointed to small fences with vines growing up on them. "With this bum thing" he pointed to his leg, "can't do much other than this." He lightly laughed but I could tell he didn't want to continue talking about it. "Ok so what do you guys do?" 

"Pretty much grow everything. We get what we need from the Box and we grow it. The food Fry uses to cook, herbs for the medjacks." I nodded my head and took a few steps forward, closely examining the garden. 

A couple more hours go by and it's time to eat again. There was a line again where they were serving people food. The sun was brutal. It felt like it was a thousand degrees hotter than it was this morning. We sat under a tree to eat. Another boy who I hadn't seen yet sat with us. He was bigger than the others. And quite shorter. He has dark, curly hair and his face was chubby. He seemed sweet. "I'm Chuck!" he stuck his hand out with great enthusiasm. I reached out and shook it. "I'm Andi." 

"Yeah, I've only been here a few months. But it's great that we have new people! " he laughed and shoved a load of food into his mouth. 

"Andi, after lunch, we'll go take a look at the med-jacks and be done for the day." I nodded while I was still chewing.

We finished eating rather quickly. I was honestly a bit excited to see what the med-jacks did. I like the idea of helping people get better when they're sick. And I would like to see the gross things too. 

"I'm not sure if you'll get to see much of them in action today, cuz we can't plan when people get sick or hurt. But you'll get to walk through what they do in certain situations." Newt looked over to me, "You've been sort of quiet since lunch. You alright?" I looked up and nodded. "Yeah I'm alright. I'm just kind of excited I guess." 

Newt chuckled, "Alright then." Another new person came up to us. "Hey Newt." His face brightened, "Tommy! Perfect timing. This is Andi, our new Greenie." He smiled, "I'm Thomas. I've been here maybe a week. It's not so bad once you find what your job is. Oh Newt, what do you want me to do? I finished digging for new plants." Newt slapped his shoulder, "Go get us some more firewood." Thomas nodded and jogged off towards the woods.