Chapter 3:

“The Changing?”

“Yeah. Gally’s been through it. You’re never the same afterwards.” Clint rubbed the back of his neck. “Except Ben’s gonna have to be exiled.” My eyes widened, “Exiled?! What for?”

“Trying to kill Thomas. Whether it was because of the sting or not. We only have a few rules here. Don’t go into the Maze. And don’t harm any fellow Gladers. You break those rules, you have to leave.” 

“But I thought that was the point, we can’t leave.” 

“He’s being out into the Maze Andi. Tonight, before the doors close.”

I walked out of the wooden hut. How could they just throw Ben to the Grievers like that? It’s completely inhumane. “I know what you’re thinking.” 

I slightly jumped and turned around to see Newt behind me. “I know it sounds terrible to just cast him out there. But we’ve got to protect everyone else. And we’ve survived this long.” I just nod my head. Someone else came outside.

“He’s asleep now. We’ve got the serum in Ben.” Jeff came up beside Newt and put his hands on his hips. “Clin said you did really well with Thomas. Knew what to do without even having to be told. Nice work.” 

Newt’s eyes lit up, “Oh Tommy! How is he? Is he alright now?” Jeff nodded, “He’s fine. Asleep too.” 

Newt sighed, “Oh good.” He turned to me and Jeff walked away. “Are you alright love?” I just slightly smiled, “I’m fine. That was just a lot.” He pulled me into a hug and picked me up. “Well it looks like we found you a job Greenie!” I laughed, “Really? You think I could be a med-jack?” 

“Of course! I’ll tell Jeff and you can start training tomorrow.”I could feel the excitement rising in me. “But for now, we need to keep an eye on those too before dinner.It’s not too sma-” A wretched scream tore through the Glade. I flinched but he didn’t move, like he hadn’t even heard it, 

We went back inside and sat to watch over Ben. A few hours passed, the sun had set and Frypan made food again. 

Nothing else exciting happened after dinner. I went with Clint back to the hut to check on Thomas and Ben. Thomas had woken up so I brought him some food. He was going to get out of bed tomorrow. There were no serious injuries on him, but we wanted to make sure there wasn’t anything wrong we couldn’t see. Ben would wake up for a while and scream most of the time. He said the same thing over and over again “I saw him! Thomas! I’ll kill him. I saw you! It’s all your fault! You did this!” Then he would just pass out again. 

“Ok Thomas, we’re going to sleep upstairs, if you need us, just yell.” Jeff stood and Clint followed. “Alright guys. I guess I’ll see you in the morning.” I started towards the door but Clint caught my arm. “No you’ll stay with us. I mean only if you want to.” It looked like his face was hot and pink from the sun. But it was dark, so why was his face turning red? “You’re gonna be a med-jack Andi.” And part of the job is staying with the people here in case they need to throughout the night. So we sleep in extra beds upstairs.” Jeff jerked his head to the spiral stairs. 

“In a bed?” My eyes widened. Jeff shrugged and smiled, “Perks of the job.” 

We walked to the second floor after telling Thomas good night. It was much bigger than the bottom floor. It wasn’t as cluttered and there was a  window. Four beds in total, two on each opposite wall. “Blankets and pillows are in there.” Clint pointed to a bin in the corner. 

All of us turned to the stairs when someone burst through the front door. “Erm, sorry. I just came to tell Andi something.” Newt stood with this hand still on the latch of the door. The other two boys turned around.  “What’s wrong?” I got a little worried as I took a step closer to Newt. “Nothing. I just wanted to tell you good night.”

For a second I wasn’t sure how to respond. I had a weird feeling in my face and felt like I should hide it. So I looked down and smiled a little. Newt quietly laughed, “Don’t hide from me love. I find it cute when you blush.” So that’s what they call it. Blushing. “Uh, I- um ok. You-” I was stumbling over words when he spoke again. “Well don’t get all flustered now. I only wanted to say good night.” He took my hand and kissed the top of it. And with that, he left. 

“Good night.” it barely came out as a whisper. Jeff came up behind me. “I heard that.” I ‘blushed’ again. “Shut up.” Jeff laughed as I walked away.

We walked to the second floor after telling Thomas good night. It was much bigger than the bottom floor. It wasn’t as cluttered and there was a  window. Four beds in total, two on each opposite wall. “Blankets and pillows are in there.” Clint pointed to a bin in the corner. 

“We will have to get up periodically throughout the night to check on them, especially since there’s two. You don’t have to, your training doesn’t start till tomorrow. But if you hear anything, it’s most likely us.” 

“Ok. Well good night.” 

Author's note: I'm really sorry this one is so short you guys. But this week was crazy since Thanksgiving so I didn't have the time I'dhoped for to write. So I wrote this out sunday night before going to bed for school and I didn't want to stay up too late since I do have to get up so early. But I will try to manage my time better and there will be no more than two weeks between each chapter update. Hopefully I won't need the full two weeks to get a chapter out. But I'm working what I got. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed another chapter of Blue!