Epilogue

"So..."

Albus Dumbledore looked at Newt, Tina and Jacob expectantly. Theseus had left after a short conversation, and he looked pretty shaken up. Nagini was supposed to stay at Hogwarts and study magic.

Newt looked at his friends for a few seconds. He cleared his throat and said, "Well, if you want to, you could stay at my house." More like my zoo.

He seemed hesitant to make eye contact with Dumbledore.

After a few more tense seconds Dumbledore's face broke into a grin. Soon, it was decided that Tina and Jacob would move in with Newt. Tina needed to stay because she, as an auror, had to make an attempt to capture Grindelwald while he was in Europe. Jacob was given the choice to leave, but he chose to stay, saying "there is not much left for me in New York anyway".

All the arrangements were made. Newt turned to leave. He took a few steps towards the Entrance Hall, then stopped.

"Aren't you coming?"

Tina let out an involuntary sigh. She had been staring at the floor all this time, apparently deep in thought. "Come on Jacob." She was physically and emotionally drained by the events of that morning.

Newt noticed this. "Tina, you can go back to New York if you want to."

She could feel the concern in his voice. At some other time, it might have annoyed her. She didn't like to show weakness to anyone. Now it didn't matter.

She missed Queenie.

The shock of losing her was still raw. A part of her didn't believe it. She came up with amazing excuses as to why she was not there talking to her in a one-sided conversation. Why she had been seen with Grindelwald and his acolytes.

She wanted to believe that Queenie had been misled. That she would realize her mistake anytime and come back to them.

But she couldn't accept the truth. The bitter, painful truth.

Queenie thought that Grindelwald was the good guy. She thought that Grindelwald could give her what MACUSA could not. A free world for witches and wizards.

Maybe she's right. Maybe Grindelwald is the good guy. No that can't be true. Pull yourself together Porpentina.

"Tina?" Newt's voice shook her out of her thoughts. "Oh! Yes! I'm ready."

She walked out of Hogwarts with Jacob close behind, and Newt bringing up the rear.

As he followed them, he looked at Tina and frowned. She was not being herself at all. But then she had a good excuse to not. She had lost her sister, for heaven's sake.

But it was also not like Tina to doubt herself, or to be preoccupied during an important meeting.

Something was definitely up.

***

Newt was right.

A week ago Tina saw a brightly colored bird drop a letter in a light pink envelope into her hand. The bird then proceeded to vanish in a puff of feathers.

She immediately recognised Queenie's messy cursive.

Dearest Teenie,
I hope you are well. I am sorry that couldn't contact you in the last few weeks. I have been a bit busy (as you probably know from the newspapers). I just want you to know that I am safe and happy. I believe that I am fighting for the right side. I hope someday you will realize it too.

Lots of love
Queenie

It had shook her more than anything. And this morning, she saw the same bird leave another letter.

A phoenix. The bird looked exactly like the drawings of the phoenix in Newt's book.

She ripped open the envelope.

Dearest Teenie,
I miss you. I want to hear from you that you are safe. I know I can't tell you where I am, but if you could leave your letter on your windowsill, I can tell Fawkes to bring it to me. Fawkes is Credence's phoenix. Of course, his real name is not Credence, but I can't tell you what it is. He lets me borrow it to send letters to you. He also sends his greetings.
Please write back.

Lots of love
Queenie

This one had made a whirlwind of thoughts appear in her head. Should I write back? It would be rude to not. But she joined Grindelwald! That doesn't not make her my sister.

It was with these thoughts that she had gone to Hogwarts to discuss their long term quarters.